Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

What could be the problem with my acoma?

rakin
9 years ago

{{gwi:392083}}

{{gwi:392084}}

I just planted two of these crapes in the fall. They get plenty of water and I fertilized them in late March. They do not have any blooms, and they look as if it is already fall. The leaves emerged pretty much this color, maybe a slightly greener shade, but I can't imagine that they are suppose to be this color. All of my other varieties of crapes are green. Is it possible that they are getting too much water? I assumed they weren't because the maiden grass next to it is fine, but perhaps that is the problem. If so, will it hurt them to raise them at this time? Any other possible reasons???

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Early fall color often means short of water.

Is that a dripline?
    If so, how many drippers for the tree?
    run how often?
    and for how long?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i think i see the plants shadow on the wall ... is the wall south facing..

if so.. you might be cooking the plant ....

and that would be a very severe complication to watering... as you are also super heating the soil ...

and the cement sidewalk in front is the third problem ...

i dont know how you put down enough water.. for the plant to survive through a hot sunny z7 day

and.. winter sun on the brick wall and sidewalk... might interfere with winter dormancy ...

i am either right.. or so far out of the ballpark ... i am in z5 ... lol ...

what do you think???? ...possible???

ken

PS you could probably leave the grass in the mall parking lot for the summer.. and it wouldnt notice.. i wouldnt make presumptions based on comparisons ... of such diverse plants ....

• rakin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that's a drip line. I run it if I we go more than 3 days without rain. Apparently I run it too long. (keep reading).

The plants are facing west. By the way, that is the pool decking that is shown in the picture.
    Anyway, my new landscaper came today. (changed because I've been having so many problems with what the last landscaper put in). He Said that most of my plants had been put in too deep, which I suspected on a few, but had no idea the extent of the problem. He lifted the crapes up and they were sitting in a basin of water. Go figure. I knew that we had been getting more rain than normal, but I never would have thought that they were being over watered to that degree. They may not make it.
    He spent several hours raising other trees and shrubs throughout our property. In addition, I will probably loose an upright yaupon, and he took away 1 of a set of 3 azalea topiaries. All a result of being placed too deep.
    I guess it could have been worse had I not discovered the problem now. Thankfully, I know that this landscaper knows what he is doing as he comes highly recommended. I wish I had the opportunity to find a good landscaper when we built this house, but unfortunately I was new to the area and had to rely on the GC to find someone.
    Now if I could just get the deer to leave my dogwood trees and hawthorns alone. Lol

• Maddy Reynolds
    9 years ago

Hi. I'm sorry about your Acoma. Actually I'm thinking of getting an Acoma myself.

My problem is my Pink Crepe Myrtle is a late bloomer and I'm thinking it may be planted too deeply. It is now July 28 and it does have buds but just forming them. UGH.

Someone told me that same info about plants being planted too deeply or them sinking... how it affects blooming.
    YOur pic looks like your Acoma is planted higher than my Crepe so I'm really thinking mine is too deep now.

Can you repost a picture showing how your new landscaper planted the Acoma correctly so I can see how I should lift mine ? THANK YOU!

• rakin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just saw this post. I will try to take a new photo tomorrow. In the mean time, you can check for the root ball by scrapping away the mulch and dirt that is around the trunk. You should be able to see some of the fine root hairs just below the mulch, with no more than a thin layer of mulch covering it. If the root ball is lower than the soil line, or you have to scape through dirt to fine the root ball, then it is probably too low. With mine, I have clay soil in addition to them being too low. What my landscaper did was to lift the plant out of its spot and backfill the hole with more native soil, but he really worked the area well to loosen it up. Then he placed the crepe back into its spot with only about half of the root ball in the hole and the other half resting above the soil line. He then took some of the soil mixed with mulch and mounded it up around the root ball, in sort of a volcano shape. Then mulched . This seem to be keeping them from becoming water logged, but I now have to monitor them for dryness, just as if they were new.
    I should note that my particular problem was 2 fold - plants too low and a drainage issue. We have since installed a French drain to carry out excess water below grade.
    By the way, a few varieties of crepes that I have are just now blooming out as well, but being planted too low definitely caused my acomas to not bloom. Hopefully, they will return to normal next year.

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

That's why I normally plant plants in a cratered "volcanic" mound. Giving them a little extra elevation upfront helps prevent their root collars from getting buried later on...

Here is a link that might be useful: Mound planting

• plan9fromposhmadison
    9 years ago

If the leaves emerged in that color, I'm wondering if that's really 'Acoma'. There are new Crapes out, with leaves in fancy colors. Is there a 'bronze', maybe?