Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhaus_gw

droopy japanese lilac

farmhaus
10 years ago

i live in Philadelphia and have a japanese lilac in my sidewalk box out front. there is another on my street 4 haus' away. mine has had a slow start but is about 5 years old and had a really nice bloom this year. (none last) after the flowers fell, the seed pods came in and it's almost like they are too heavy for the branches. the branches are drooping, more every day and hanging into the street where cars brush them when parking. it gets baked in the sun (philly is brutal) but not more than my neighbors whose tree appears much healthier despite even more sun and the fact that the box is loaded with weeds. i water it with all my flower boxes and planters very regularly. it is mulched lightly with pine needles and has gotten a bit of compost a few times a year. i have noticed that the leaves get a bit brown every summer during these hot months but just attribute that to heat stress. the drooping is so sad and i wonder if anyone can recommend what to do. i will try to post a few pics.

Comment (1)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sounds like you better learn how to prune it properly.. before the city comes along and whacks it

a pic will get you suggestions ... NO HAIRCUTS

ken