Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Blue Spruce

Posted by emilyz NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 15:04

Hi. I have a lovely blue spruce on my property line. We are having the yard fenced in and the tree needs to be pruned on one side. I know it is July and not the optimum time for this, but I don't have a choice. Would love some advice!!!

On a side note, most of the bottom branches do not have needles. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Blue Spruce

its a conifer.. and we trim it as such ...

but what is the point of keeping low branches w/o needles ...

take all the limbs up to about 8 feet ... or as far as they are bare ...

better yet.. find out if it is diseased.. and if it is... then just get rid of it ...

a picture in the conifer forum.. might get you an opinion ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Cut what you have to cut and see what happens. As Ken implies, trees can be removed and replaced with a tree that is located more conveniently for you, maybe also healthier. If you can leave the front branches on I would do so, as the upper ones will sag down if robbed of the support of the lower ones - the whole thing looks better if it has its skirts, or what skirts it can have to accommodate the fence.

KarinL

o

Since we know very little information, one solution may be to prune it up, but if the tree is 12 feet, that won't work and cut it down. You can't prune at property line and call it good, that's for sure.

Dan

o

well.. whatever happened??

link for pix posting

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here