Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree identification

Posted by Treemendous1 Lincoln England (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 15:07

Hi.. Can anyone help with the name if the tree in the photo, we are moving house & would like to buy one for the new garden
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree identification

Some kind of sumac (rhus)

o

Thanks for that, do you think we could take a cutting from it?

o

I know that cultivars in the US are sometimes produced from cuttings, but unless you have expertise it might not be easy.

o

Stop mowing the lawn and there should pop up lots of rootshoots. Just dig one of them up. Or buy a new tree, they are pretty common as a garden tree even in europe. I guess it's a rhus typhina.

o

Rhus typhina aka Stag's Horn Sumac - been grown in the British Isles since 1620s - very common and easily obtained. And yes, if you don't mow around it for a while you may well get suckers. You might look into the cultivar 'Laciniata' which is even more ornamental.

o

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Fantastic

o

They can get a decent size to them as far as how tall they get. They are weedy trees here, but not too bad. Not sure on width, the one near me gets pruned as to not hang over the driveway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here