Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow Fountain Cherry leaf damage

Posted by Toni1025 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 15:07

Do you think this is a disease or a bug? There's some browning leaves on tips and some leaves are curled. There's no fungus or powder.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow Fountain Cherry leaf damage

no disease..

and its so random and MINOR...

that i would speculate on hail ....

regardless.. nothing i would do anything about..

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 17:10

Don't know about those particular holes but the tip die-back is common on this one around here, where there are significant numbers of plantings to observe.

The holes that are common on Prunus here are those caused by Prunus Shot-hole Fungus. As the name suggests, heavily infested plants look as those pellets have been shot through them.

o

I suspected earwigs because they are eating my butterfly bushes in the back. When I went out at night, I did see earwigs, along with a beetle and some other bugs. I also have the brown spots indicative of shot hole. It rained all of June here so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fungus. I'm afraid it's worse than you may think, as all of this is happening very quickly. Any ideas where I should start. Do I spray for bugs? Should I have the leaves tested for shot hole disease?

o

Another pic

o

OK - here's the thing :-) Bugs eat holes in foliage. Unless they are skeletonizing the leaves and defoliating the trees, it is almost always a cosmetic issue - unsightly perhaps but no harm to the tree.

Brown "spots" are not necessarily indicative of shot hole - actual holes/missing tissue in the leaf are more symptomatic of that problem. As bboy described, it looks like someone peppered the tree with buckshot. Again, on deciduous members of the genus, shot hole is more cosmetic than harmful and attempting to treat now is likely to cause more issues than help. This disease is often associated with excessive overhead watering, either from rain or sprinklers and any sort of treatment now is not going to be of much value. Just be sure to clean up well in fall and get rid of the fallen leaves.

I guess the gist of this post is that we need to exercise a degree of tolerance :-) We are dealing with nature and flawless foliage is not the norm, despite what we prefer. By all means treat IF the situation warrants it. In this case, I don't see any reason to believe that it does. All in all, your little tree looks pretty darn good for a weeping cherry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here