Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small stump removal

Posted by tenacre Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 15:11

Had a few unusually cool July days and decided to get a head start on thinning out some of the undergrowth in my woods.

I've especially targeted Autumn Olive, Honeysuckle, and the smaller diameter black cherry trees.

I'm using the chain saw to cut the trees down to about 18" height (so the mower will bump into -- rather than run over and self-destruct -- on the stumps if weeds grow before I get a chance to mow).

I want to remove the stumps to ground level (or below) so I don't trip over them and so the mower will not be in peril.

I don't want to use my chain saw down in the dirt, and I no longer have the stamina to use a pruning saw on so many stumps (30?).

I was think of buying a battery-powered saw of some sort.

Here is a link that might be useful: stump and trail pix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small stump removal

i have a new dewalt sawsall...

much easier to work with as compared to a chainsaw ...

do spend the extra 8 bucks.. for a TREE SAW ... it really makes a difference ...

i found... that i can cut enough with one battery charge ... that by the time i clean up what i cut.. the battery can be recharged ... BUT... if you use teh battery too long.. on too large pieces.. it heats up..and it wont charge.. until it cools ....

otherwise.. i borrow a second battery.. and charge one while using the other ...

get this.. at lowes... $100 bucks for ONE extra battery ... or.... $100 for two... whats that all about ... idiots ...

watch for a sale.. where they might offer two batteries and a flashlight or some such ... a package deal ... those sales are usually around fathers day.. etc ...

for anything under 3 inches or so.. you will never pull out the chainsaw ....

ken

o

ken_adrian MI z5 Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:16 wrote:
> i have a new dewalt sawsall...
> much easier to work with as compared to a chainsaw ...
> for anything under 3 inches or so..
> you will never pull out the chainsaw ....

Thanks Ken. In my mind it made sense but it's very helpful to hear from someone confirming that it actually works.

Has anyone had success using something like an angle grinder, with appropriate blade of course -- instead of a recip saw?

Here is a link that might be useful: saws

o

How big are these stumps?

For removing honeysuckle the sawzall and some round up are probably the tools. I have an electric plug in one and a few hundred feet of cord.

I had some ten foot tall Hollies that did not survive the winter.....I cut them darned near to ground level with the chainsaw since I am not very concerned about them resprouting in a spot I don't mow. For the non crazed stumps the chainsaw helt on its side 1/4 inch above or gasp, at ground level has to be easier.

If you want something interesting they do sell electric chainsaws now. Lots of times with a stick you can mount the to for hi up pruning. Mine has a pretty aggressive chain and does wonders.

o

toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 20:34 wrote:
> 1) How big are these stumps?
> 2) round up
> 3) a few hundred feet of cord
> 4) electric chainsaws

1) Up to 2.5" diameter. You can see the AO stumps in the pix I linked to in the first post

2) Killing the roots is not an issue. Repeated mowing of the sprouts will take care of that. Getting the stumps down low enough that I don't break the mower spindle (again!) or trip over them is my goal.

3) My trails go back 2400 feet. That's a long extension cord!

4) Don't want to use a chainsaw near the ground, be it gas or electric. I've already ruined three chains that way.

This post was edited by tenacre on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 0:28

o

• Posted by SC77 6b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 22:37

Another vote for cordless dewalt sawsall with tree pruning blade. I've cut down legitimate trees using just that and a handsaw. With a new tree pruning blade it will make quick work of that

o

SC77 6b Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 22:37 wrote:
> Another vote for cordless dewalt sawsall with tree pruning blade.

This is sounding very encouraging.

How close to the ground can you get with that?

o

18V or 24V ?

NiCad, NiMH, or Li ?

o

This afternoon I rolled out 200ft of extension cord which was just enough to get me to the west edge of my "young" woods and plugged in my Skil reciprocating saw. Wow. That's the way to prune!! I tamed those tough Mulberry trees in no time! They're lookin' nice.

This post was edited by tenacre on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 23:48

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here