Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what peach borers can do to a tree

Posted by tenacre Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 15:20

Here's a beautiful black cherry tree (one of my favorites) that was destroyed by peach borers.

This tree is ~50 feet tall.

A few years ago I noticed the bark looked distressed, but it wasn't until recently that I learned what was going on.

Had I known, I might have been able to save it with some intervention.

Notice how the bark never made the transition from the youthful "smooth with lenticels" to the mature "burnt potato chip" texture. I think that may have contributed to its demise.

It must be a genetic thing. I have much smaller diameter black cherries that have the mature bark.

The borers seem to leave the trees with mature bark alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: RIP black cherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what peach borers can do to a tree

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 8:33

I got one just about that size. Hope borers don't attack it -- it provides useful shade to the west side of the house late afternoon.

o

beng z6 western MD Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 8:33 wrote:
> I got one just about that size. Hope borers don't attack it

Has it transitioned to the mature bark (burnt potato chip) yet? Or does it still have the youthful bark (smoother with lenticels)?

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 10:02

tenacre, it has the classic mature bark pretty much all the way up.

It is fast -- prb'ly quadrupled in mass in a mere 10 yrs. Much bigger than this pic taken 10 yrs ago:

o

Peach bark beetle (Phloeotribus liminaris) attacks black cherry, including trees with mature bark (see link). Hard to say for sure what originally caused that large, old wound, but borers and PBB are attracted to wounded trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: peach bark beetle on black cherry

o

arbordave S-E MI Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 14:27 wrote:
>Hard to say for sure what originally caused that large, old wound...

Incredibly, the large wound is *not* the result of a single traumatic injury, but rather the result of repeated borer attacks, over a period of years, plus resulting fungus.

Look where the red arrow is pointing. That's the bark under which the cambium was killed years ago, still there, surrounded by the tree's desperate losing battle to compartmentalize it.

Here is a link that might be useful: red arrow

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here