Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of tree is this?

Posted by CJEbert 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 15:30

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what kind of tree this is (please see attached picture). I tried to get a picture that gives a good look at the leaves, but if something else is required please let me know.

It, and a few like it, are growing outside of my office building, and I'd like to possibly find methods of propagation so that I could grow one at my home.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of tree is this?

Kentucky coffeetree? Hard to tell for sure without a close up pic of leaves and buds. There are many trees with compound leaves.

o

not a coffee tree if he's in mi ...

where are you ...

what about mountain ash ... see link ... which isnt an ash.. go figure on that ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Zone 5 - most likely candidate is the Kentucky Coffee Tree.

o

Not mountain ash, at least not sorbus aucuparia. Maybe some asian species, but I don't think so

o

On further examination, I think we've been fooled by the lack of scale in the photo. The OP took a macro shot but without something to gauge the scale making the leaves appear larger than they really are....hence the Kentucky Coffee Tree 'guess'.

The problem was the pinnate and double pinnate leaves on the same branch and the bark doesn't match the KCT. I suspect this is really just an average Honeylocust....bark & leaves (pinnate & bipinnate with no terminal leaf) match well.

You don't need cuttings, just buy one at your local garden center, big box store, etc.

o

I'm going with Honeylocust, too.

Ken...Gymnocladus dioica

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 8:37

Honeylocust.

o

Once again, I appreciate all of your help. I've attached another picture I took from far back, but I'm not sure that helps much. I tried to take a picture that included the leaves and at least a shot of the trunk in the background. I'll have to take closer pictures of the leaves and bark and roots (which are pretty invasive) when i return to my office on Thursday.

To help answer some other questions, I'm in Zone 6 (I think I mistakenly typed 5 before) in Pennsylvania.

I've looked up hoenylocust in the meantime, and that seems to be very similar from some of the pictures I've seen. That might be it.

I'll have more pictures on the way to hopefully help narrow it down. And again...thank you!

o

CJEbert, I don't think that we need anymore pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here