Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help id - 3 types of leaves

Posted by lmich9 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:31

I would like to know what sort of tree this is out of curiosity. It's close to my garage so I will dig it up when I get to it. It has 3 different shaped leaves. Google kept coming up with sassafrass or mulberry but I don't think it's either of those. It doesn't have any berries. I don't think it's two grafted together because there is another shoot across my yard with the same leaves.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help id - 3 types of leaves

Almost certainly Mulberry.

Regardless of your pruning, the shape of the plant is quite unlike Sassafras.

Sassafras and Mulberry are so completely unrelated that grafting wouldn't be possible anyway.

o

Close up of leaves

o

@smivies I ruled out mulberry because the results I saw all said they had berries. In my 3 years at this house I've never seen berries on the tree. Answer still stand?

They are common and nothing special, no? I have ripped out a few plantings from the PO and lived to regret doing so. Due to its position I hadn't intended to take any care in digging it out but if it is worth saving I would probably try and give it away on craigslist.

o

Male mulberries have no fruit. Regardless, still looks like one, and definitely is very much too close to the foundation!

o

what horster said. This mulberry was brought to this country during the Colonial Era with the hopes of starting up a silk industry. Now it is a permanent weed and spreads a disease that kills off our native mulberry and pollutes its gene pool.
Pull it out, every bit of it and into the compost pile.

o

@lmich9 - No fruit doesn't mean much...Mulberry can be dioecious (male OR female plants) or monoecious (flowers of both sexes on the same plant). Looks like you have at least one male.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here