Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves on Apple Hybrid Tree Turning brown around the edges

Posted by balithecat 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 15:34

Hi - I am new to growing apple trees. My first one I just planted about two months ago and unfortuately the leaves are turning brown around the edges.

I have been watering it, I spiked it a couple of times with fertilizer spikes, and I have used root booster to try to help it along. I have mulch covering about 1m around the trunk 2-3"deep.

I don't see any bugs or anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves on Apple Hybrid Tree Turning brown around the edges

That's what classic fertilizer burn looks like. Applying fertilizer to a newly planted tree isn't recommended and the spikes are one of the worst options. Plus, you planted in June.

So, fertilizer burn is a possibility. We would also like to know if you added some sort of amendments to the hole or backfill when planting.

o

If you are in one of these regions with extreme heat that is also probably contributing.

Bottom line, though, it looks bad, but it is largely cosmetic damage. I've planted many trees that look like that during their first season or so if it's hot and dry and I haven't watered enough. They bounce right back, either when wetter, cooler weather returns, or the next year.

o

I agree, even if fertilizer burn is a contributing factor, the tree should grow normal leaves next year. The damage won't disappear this growing season.

o

....I'm reaching for the smelling salts again! Fertilizer spikes.......;^)

+oM

o

....I'm reaching for the smelling salts again! Fertilizer spikes.......;^)

+oM

o

I spiked it a couple of times with fert

==>> EXACTLY how many times???

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here