11 years ago

I 2nd Franklinia.

Dax

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Nice!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

were you staggering down the street.. when you took that slanted pic???

or was this another drive by [pic] shooting????

lol

ken

• snasxs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A very old specimen -

{{gwi:393211}}

{{gwi:393213}}

• calliope
    11 years ago

It's been on my wish list for years, but I just never got a round 'tuit'. I read they are extirpated and only exist in cultivation. Any reason why they aren't/can't be reintroduced to their native range?

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Not the right leaves and habit, based on past experience probably photos of an Asian tree species taken from an Asian web site.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bboy, can you supply an ID?

• sam_md
    11 years ago

I cannot ID the OP's tree but it's clear that ain't no Franklinia. What's up with the first 4 responses here, you guys go back to Elementary Tree ID 101. :)
    Here is my Franklinia alatamaha, taken today which happens to be a DECIDUOUS tree.
    {{gwi:393215}}
    snasxs, tell us how many Franklin Trees you have in China?

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Franklinia is deciduous, is it not?

My guess, with very low confidence, is Gordonia, Loblolly Bay.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sam, you have a very nice Franklinia! It is really hot this summer in Maryland?

• calliope
    11 years ago

LOL....actually I know franklinia is deciduos, but didn't know if he did and I don't like to argure. I also don't know where these trees are supposed to be located. That certainly helps as well.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I'm confused. Is this one of those pop-quiz threads where the OP is trying to see how smart we are, or does the OP not know the ID on the tree either and wants to ID it with help from the group?

Because I thought this was another "name that tree" contest thread, and if I am right, I would like Johnny to tell me that I have indeed won the year's supply of Rice-A-Roni, The San Francisco Treat.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For denninmi, did you not see my question? See above - posted by snasxs 7-8 VA on Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 20:59 bboy, can you supply an ID?

• denninmi
    11 years ago

snasxs, yes I read your posts carefully, including the original post. I interpret your current response to mean you know the ID of the tree, and are querying the group.

So, I will wait for the answer to be posted. I just hope it doesn't take too long, because I am really curious. And I am 100% certain it is NOT Franklinia.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

denninmi, I don't know the ID. I am no expert in this subject. This is why I ask bboy. Relax, okay?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I still have no clue.

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

Perhaps it would help if you would tell where the photo was taken or where the photo is from.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

A closer view could help a lot.