Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildstar7

Where to plant Dawn Redwood??

wildstar7
12 years ago

We were giving a Dawn Redwood tree (sapling, about 3-4ft tall) to plant in our yard by my wife's aunt who owns a greenhouse. She told us to plant it as soon as possible. We have no idea where to plant it as we hear it can grow large and we only have 1 tree on our entire property right now. We have a 60-80' unknown large tree in the very back corner of our lot and all other bushes were removed when we bought our house last year because they were diseased or dead. The only tree that was removed was a small cherry tree that was completely rotten and it was on the grass between the road and the sidewalk. We have a large cedar tree that is on the side of our house, but it is being removed by the town (it's on their property) due to being completely hollow inside and having suffered severe damage from ice storms we had a few years back. I was thinking a good spot to plant this tree would be close to where that cedar tree is on the side of our house (on our property and not the town's though. What do you guys think?

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/24o0f9u.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/fucg9j.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/nexnuw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2whefif.jpg[/IMG]

Also, that large pool is no longer there. It's just grass there now. Thanks for your help!

Comments (19)

• wildstar7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, not sure why the images didn't show up, so if anyone who knows how to post them could repost them, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, the links do work. Thanks!

• slimwhitman
    12 years ago

Treat Dawn Redwood as a deciduous shade tree. Plant in a location you might want a shade tree like an oak or large maple. They are great trees.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

your images:
    {{gwi:393609}}

{{gwi:393610}}

{{gwi:393612}}

{{gwi:393613}}

• lisanti07028
    12 years ago

What plans do you have for your back yard? These trees get huge, with correspondingly huge root systems. In the absence of any other information, I would say to plant it right smack in the middle of your back yard. Trust me, it's not going to be 4 feet high for long.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Looks like a good spot. Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i wouldnt plant a tree at this time of year.. here in my z5 .. let alone z7 ...

other than auntie having a greenhouse.. whats her tree background..

is it ball and burlap .. or potted???

how big is the pot this 4 foot tree is in ...

ken

• wildstar7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all of the quick responses. And thanks gardener for posting the pics. The plant is currently potted in one of those black, very thin pots. I'd take a picture, but it's not much to look at. Just tall and thin. The only things that concern us is that we currently have no landscaping or outdoor areas built yet. We will eventually have a large back patio and may add on to the back of our house on the left side for a master bedroom, although that is not decided yet. We would like to put it somewhere where we can avoid moving it for the tree's sake. Our neighbor has 3 sweet gum trees (I believe that is what they are) in the middle of her back yard and they look very nice and give nice shade (they are not new trees though). I'm thinking maybe to plant it towards the back of our lot in the middle and maybe get a couple more dawns to plant with it or another nice tree?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Dawn redwoods are one of my favorite.

They prefer moister sites rather than dry.

Full sun is good in my zone 6.

The trunk stays more polite and the tree can appear very formal if limbed up. There is a beautiful picture someplace on the conifer forum of perhaps a forty footer in someone's yard.

I do love dawn redwood but for the sake of variety plant no more than two. Plenty of other great treea out there.

Nice lot btw.

• wildstar7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, and I'm not sure my wife's aunts experience... they've owned their greenhouse/farm for 50+ years and sell all kinds of plants and trees... but they don't specialize in trees.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Being a conifer not the same tall-branching habit as an oak. Needs to be placed where there will not be a bunch of sawing off of low branches.

Grows over 100' tall.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Bboy, you are correct of course concerning the pyramidal habit but respectfully I believe Metasequoia looks fine limbed up a bit.

Not sure on proper citations but Dax took these photos in Rock Island and posted them in another thread. I am using my photobucket so as not to steal his bandwidth.

{{gwi:336697}}

This Dawn redwood can be mowed and walked under and the bark is quite striking.

{{gwi:351170}}

{{gwi:336698}}

• wildstar7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I just saw that picture yesterday and it looks great. I read that it's best if you can hold off trimming the lower branches until after the tree is mature. I am going to take pictures of the potted one when I get home from work and see what you guys think about the two spots I'm considering the most.

• botann
    12 years ago

I held off as long as I could on this Dawn Redwood. The lower branches got shaded out and died.
    {{gwi:393614}}

I cut the lower branches off this one as soon as I dared.
    {{gwi:393615}}
    Mike

• botann
    12 years ago

I planted this one about 33 years ago. Last Fall when this picture was taken, it measured approximately 77 ft.
    The lower limbs are dying and will have to be removed. Too much shade, I guess.
    I hope the information I've given you will help you decide where to place yours.
    I would plant the variety 'Ogon' if you can. The needles are a beautiful yellow. I will try to find a picture of mine.
    Mike
    {{gwi:393616}}

• botann
    12 years ago

Here it is!
    {{gwi:393618}}

• wildstar7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the delay, it was pouring yesterday and I couldn't get the pictures until today. Here are some pics of our back, side and front yards. Also a pic of the tree the town is removing, a pic of the only tree we will have, and a pic of the little guy.

{{gwi:393619}}

{{gwi:393621}}

{{gwi:393622}}

{{gwi:393623}}

{{gwi:393624}}

• wildstar7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike- How would i tell which variety it is? It's the one in the picture, but it was a gift to me, all I was told was that it is a Dawn Redwood

• C Man
    6 years ago

Realize this is an old thread, but these trees GET HUGE AND FAST! Plant out in the open away from power lines, septic systems, etc. Don't plant them near a house and it's foundation due to their shear size and root system. Overall a solid pick for a yard tree if you have the space.