Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poddington_gw

Help!!! Screening with tree but not ruining neighbours foundation

poddington
9 years ago

Help!!!
I have just had to remove a load of tall bamboo screening from the bottom of my garden cos it had started to run.
The problem is the house at the end of the garden- there bathroom is now visible!!
I wish to screen off the property but dont want to plant another invader like the bamboo or anything that will disturb there foundations
I will try and add a photo in a moment
Would be really grateful for any advice

Comments (23)

• subtropix
    9 years ago

English Laurel? (I know it is not really English, or laurel for that matter.)

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

What about the clumping type of bamboo?

• poddington
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does english laurel have shallow roots then - dont want to invade neighbours house!!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Don't plant Laurel!!!. In our climate it grows enormous unless constantly trimmed, it's gloomy and is so common as to be extremely boring. It is also becoming invasive in woodlands. You can do a million times better than that. Many posters here have harsh climates and thus a limited palette to choose from. You have hundreds of possibilities so no need to go for something boring.

How about planting a tree further into your lawn, rather than on the boundary? If the neighbours will agree you could go up to their bathroom and have someone stand down on your lawn moving a cane about so you could work out where to put a tree so the angle from their window to your garden is blocked. It's often quite a revelation seeing the view of your garden from some else's house.

If you really want the tree on the boundary you could look at fastigiate cultivars - Prunus 'Amanogawa' is one. But seeing the space you have there I don't think roots will be a problem if you choose a suitably sized tree.

I would look at the RHS list of trees suitable for our-sized gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: RHS tree advice

• poddington
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh Floral UK - thanks so much for the advice- i really didnt think i had many options. If you know the names of a few more with non invasive roots i would be eternally grateful. I love the cherry though its gorgeous- i never thought i could have anything that pretty!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Take a look at the RHS list of trees for small gardens. Check this link and also follow the sub link about trees near buildings. I think you are worrying over-much really, as long as you stick to garden suitable trees. You have plenty of space for several trees if you want them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees for small gardens

• poddington
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks v much- most useful

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there bathroom is now visible!!

==>>>> hmmmm .. lol...

i would offer them one of the things at the link.. and ask their discretion in putting it up.. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ... lol

odds are.. you dont have some hunk or hunk-ette over there ...

and you fear your eyeballs burning out from the horror..

ok.. i am done amusing myself...

what is the foundation of the other house... fairly intact.. or been there since the reign of Charles II??

i am just wondering.. if you are making a mountain out of a molehill.. and limiting your choices based on said presumption ...

and finally ... that is one of the biggest yards i have seen from UK gardeners.. congrats ...

that said.. you are in a box.. lets look outside of it ... a tree.. planted halfway between the fountain.. and the property line.. will grow faster.. and provide a better sight block.. than plants planted ON THE PROPERTY LINE ..

and you would avoid the foundation issue.. and add a whole other level of trees/plants to add to your garden ...

good luck ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: apply with soapy water.. and a wallpaper brush or sponge

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

That's interesting answer, Ken, and illustrates a different perspective from the one which I thought the OP meant. The OP has removed the existing screen (bamboo) and wants to replace it more to save the neighbours' potential embarrassment then the OP's.

I mentioned the idea of planting further into the lawn in my answer above.

• poddington
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooer Ken!!!
    No i often amuse myself looking at his bathroom antics of an evening!!
    No truth be told we had an apple tree several metres in which used to do the trick, however we received a solicitors letter from the neighbour saying we were destroying their property---upshot being we had it removed.

Thats why i'm a bit nervous now.

Thanks anyway.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

put in a giant telescope.. and let them figure out how to block the window ...

really .... its their problem ... and they have already caused further problems ... with the lawyer ...

what a conundrum ....

ken

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I like the idea of the telescope. If anyone ever tried to make me take a tree down, I'd treat it as a declaration of war. Put up a webcam pointing at their house and post it online. Buy the tackiest lawn ornaments you can, set up lawn furniture near the property line, hang lawn ornaments near the property lawn.

Seriously, what about English Holly?

• ilovemytrees
    9 years ago

I would be livid, (LIVID!) if my neighbor put a tree right on the property line, where it would grow straight up in front of my window, any window, that blocked natural light coming in to my home.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 8:07

• poddington
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice idea elincoln. I sa a holly ball topiary today which was lovely
    I suppose i could have a line of ball topiarys with the ball bit above the fence - in different tree types
    I love my trees- i have asked the neighbours and they are delighted as they feel a bit exposed as it were

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

poddington - a Holly topiary would take constant maintenance - at least two clips per year. And I though you needed something taller?

ilovemytrees - It was the neighbours who wanted the original screen removed. And now they are happy to have a more appropriate replacement.

• ilovemytrees
    9 years ago

I'm glad it all worked out. I love my bathroom window, it faces east and let's in so much sun we never have to turn on the light during the day. We of course close the blinds when privacy is called for. lol

I would never ever want a tree blocking that window, but I understand if others crave the privacy...

Our MaineCoon is laying in the window right now, the window's open, and he's listening to the birds and looking down at them in our yard.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 8:52

• poddington
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks floral- good point re holly- just looked it up and not tall enough.
    In my dreams i would have a row of lollipops, or maybe lollipop- stick- lollipop - stick--- which would be tall enuf to cover there window, not take too much care, shallow roots, and in beautiful bloom at different times of year

------ dont want much do i? Have come over a bit disney landscape- esque!!!!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I really think you should go through the RHS list, look each one up and then try to find examples in local parks, arboretums, etc. to get an idea. One of the Sorbus cultivars for example. There are so many great little trees you could use - far more interesting than laurel or holly. You have plenty of time. Optimum tree planting time isn't until October and runs all the way through until March.

• poddington
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great idea floral- you are really inspiring me. Am rather excited. Pretty sad eh?!!!!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Not sad at all! You are on the Tree Forum remember. Everyone here is sad when it comes to trees.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 9:37

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

evergreen vine on a trellis. In California, with our small lots infested with megamansions, this is becoming a common solution.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

English Peeps are just nicer. I post this as I listen to "Tuesday afternoon" by the Moody blues......

• poaky1
    9 years ago

That last post wasn't meant to be ignorant, the Moody blues are great and from England, and I have been drinking. But seriously English peeps are more respectful than Us peeps.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks