Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus Indentification help

Posted by aquaticaussie 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 16:14

Hi all,

I am trying to identify the following fungus from up in the Northern California -Chico area. I was working up there a while back and saw the following on an otherwise healthy looking tree. I am heading back that way in a couple of weeks and would like to be able to identify what it is. Unfortunately did not even check out the type of tree while there and pics I have do not show very well. Any help would be most appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus Indentification help

Additional pics of fungus

o

Underside

o

I am not a fungologist (lol) but it looks like some sort of shelf fungus maybe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket_fungus

o

There are hundreds of different bracket fungi and different species colonize different trees. ID the tree and we might get closer to ID'ing the fungi.

And while the tree may look healthy, it is not. Bracket fungi are the visible signs of interior heartwood rot.

o

The loggers around here call them 'Conks'. I have no idea why.
Mostly found on older Hemlocks that are on their way out. They call it heart rot also.
Mike

o

the rot inside.. is a function of the gaping crack in the first pic ... or what looks like one at about 1 o'clock on the pic ...

and when we say.. the tree is dying.. understand .. since i have a feeling that you are teaching others ... that it is dying in tree years...

and God forbid.. it might collapse in a decade or two .... or three .. or tomorrow.. if the crack has already been there for two decades ...

and being in what looks like a forest.. who cares.. we arent even certain it will make a sound.. when it falls .... if no one is there .. lol ...

or.. it could fall over tomorrow... dont camp next to it ... and if overhanging the cottage ... you might want a professional certified arborist to eyeball it ....

ken

o

Thanks all,

Will get the tree type sorted out to try and narrow this down.

There is no major crack in the tree, that is just the bark.

This tree is part of a high ropes course that I inspect and had noticed the fungi and am very concerned about the continued use of the tree. Recommended an arborist inspection but would like to have all my facts in place to require the inspection if it has not been performed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here