Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple tree bending over

Posted by cybrmatt (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:21

I have a young apple tree that I got from a home store a few years ago. It seems generally healthy and is even producing fruit, but the trunk is so spindly that it's constantly top-heavy and bending over. It's *really* flexible. I'm concerned that it's going to snap in half in the winds if it is't supported. I've always braced it upright in the past, but it's getting tall enough now that I don't really have any stakes big enough to prop up the top. I was hoping it would have gained more rigidity by now, but it's just not firming up. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple tree bending over

provide a pic???

explain your fertilizer regimen,please

ken

o

I have 3 Mac Intosh apple trees. They are my dads actually. One of them is leaning extremely to the side. I just ignore the lean because past attempts at righting it failed, and my dad would get mad if I removed it. There have been apples on it most years.

o

I am getting PO'd about thjis apple tree. I wish I could remove it. It is hard to prune it or harvest any fruit. My dad planted the tree so I will try to tend to it. And the other 2 apple trees.

o

I use this for my Golden Raintree. It works perfectly, and what's great is it doesn't touch the trunk at all, unless the wind blows pretty hard.

The particular one I use has just has one ring at the top, instead of the rings going all the way down the support, but apparently they're sold out for the season. They're extremely popular..

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardeners Supply Plant Support

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 12:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here