Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenacre

Autumn Blaze maple rescued from WalMart

tenacre
9 years ago

In May of 2005 I rescued an Autumn Blaze maple from the local WalMart.

It was a small (6') containerized tree, and was badly neglected, lying on its side in the parking lot, drying out in the hot sun.

I think I paid $6 for it.

When I got home, I remembered we were leaving for vacation in 2 days, and would be gone for 10 days.

I knew next to nothing about how to plant a tree properly, having never previously done so.

Looking back, I did nearly everything wrong.

I dug a deep hole (about 3 feet) through a surface layer of hardpan clay into the sandy/rocky soil below, and backfilled it part way with rich black soil and organic matter taken from a fenceline populated by old-growth trees and brush. I removed the tree from the container, did not free up the roots, placed it into the hole on top of the backfill soil, backfilled around it to the top of the container soil level (which was about 8" below ground level), supported it with 3 stakes and guy wire, watered it heavily, and left on vacation.

So bottom line:

- the root flare was not exposed (it was below soil level in the container)

- the roots were probably somewhat pot-bound (I don't remember for sure... I didn't know enough to even notice)

- when all was completed, the tree was at the bottom of an 8" deep hole about 2 feet in diameter

For the first 5 or so years, the tree struggled mightily. It developed a bad case a anthracnose, and every year it had a very short growing season before it gave up and just clung to life until the hot summer was over.

Then it finally got over the anthracnose, and for the past 4 years has been growing like a weed. This year, it's still putting out new growth in the middle of July.

It's now about 20 to 25 feet tall, and it puts on quite a display in the fall.

My question is: in view of the improper planting, what are the long-term prospects for this tree, and is there any intervention I should be considering to mitigate the effects of the mistakes I made?

Comments (7)

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This pic shows the hole where the tree is planted:

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

I would investigate directly around the trunk to see if adventitious roots have formed. If they have, they may sustain your tree when the potbound mess below fails (and it will eventually). Nothing to do otherwise. If it fails, it was only $6 and can be replaced with a similarly cheap substitute and then planted correctly. A properly planted AB maple will grow at least 2.5-3' per year after a fairly quick establishment period so it will get back up to 20' in only a few years.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I could be wrong about this, but I believe that since both Red and Silver maples (the parents of Autumn Blaze - it's a hybrid) are "bottomland" trees, they can tolerate a bit better than most having soil dumped too deeply over their crowns/roots - since that can happen in nature when floodwaters deposit silt and soil over the land.

It may well pull through - IF - as j0nd03 has suggested - adventious roots have formed on the trunk where it was buried.

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple of questions, and a comment.

I'm not exactly sure what "adventitious roots" are. What do they look like and where would they be located?

This tree is located in a high-wind area. This spring and summer especially have had heavy rains and very high winds. This tree takes a licking and keeps on ticking, as straight as ever. There's no evidence at all that it is pulling out of the ground. Would this be evidence that there are indeed "adventitious roots"? Or would the container roots be capable of supporting the tree this well, at its present height and trunk size? Trunk girth is a little over 14 inches (approx 4.5" diameter). Soil is as described in original post.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

as far as i am concerned.. its a maple...

hit it with the truck ... it wont die ..

adventitious roots sprout to teh advantage of the tree.. in places they arent supposed to ... like above the root flare ...

personally.. i would prune it up.. but that would be to facilitate lawn mowing under... whatever pleases you.. is fine ...

ken

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did no pruning for the first 5 years because the tree was struggling and I figured it needed all the leaves it had (since the anthracnose killed many of them off by the end of June).

Then later I discovered that living in a hole with lower branches left intact has certain advantages for a tree out here in the country: The deer and rabbits leave the trunk alone. The deer don't scrape it (perhaps because of the lower branches) , and the rabbits don't chew on it (I'm thinking they don't feel safe down in that hole with limited visibility). Also, sunscald has not been a problem.

I don't mow around it much. It's located in one of my designated "natural" areas where wildflowers grow. I do occasionally mow a path up to it so I can get a closer look to see what's going on now and then.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the tree was struggling and I figured it needed all the leaves it had

==>> pure genius.. if i say so myself ... i have quoted you a hundred times .. in the last few years ..... lol ...

at this size ... age ... etc... i think you ought to go find something else to worry about ... this thing is bulletproof ...

i see the clay cracking in the hole... but some peeps say a root mass can be twice as big as the tree ... though in a different form ... so even if the disturbed soil at the trunk is dry ... who cares... its roots are 20 feet in every direction by now.. and it is not suffering for water ... and the pic shows that ... and i think i see some fine lawn out there.. if you fert the lawn.. this will get any and all fert it ever needs.. no need to ever fert this tree again.. in any manner ....

and finally.. nice to see a planting ... with a tree planted far enough from the house.. that it wont crush it ... in the decades to come... its like you really thought this all out.. and acted accordingly ..

in other words .. great job all around ... it so refreshing to see someone who did not plant it 15 inches from the house.. and now wants to know.. if it will effect the foundation .. or on top of the septic field.. etc ... two thumbs up ...

just dont worry about it any more ...

ken

Sponsored
Sharp Landscaping
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Hanover County's Source for Beautifully Designed Outdoor Spaces