Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify the trees in Aiken, SC on Laurens street

Posted by neonrider 8A/8B/9A (Sunset-28/ (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 16:35

Good evening,

Could someone please identify the trees in Aiken, SC on Laurens street. I've attached a photo from Google Maps. They are all over that street. Are they perhaps Pseudocydonia sinensis or Stewartia monadelpha? Or some other Stewartia? I would guess these are not Crepe myrtles (single trunked)? They have exfoliating spotty "tiger" like pattern on their bark. Or are these simply Sycamore trees? Yet they seem to have almost orange brown bark as much as I remember.

If you need to see more of those trees, go to Google Maps and scroll along Laurens Street Southwest near Hayne Avenue for example.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify the trees in Aiken, SC on Laurens street

Could they be Ulmus parvifolia? They have bark like that and are common street trees here (and in SC too). Zelkova would be another possibility.

o
RE: Please identify the trees in Aiken, SC on Laurens street

Bingo! Chinese Elm (Ulmus parvifolia) a.k.a. Lacebark elm. Thanks, and I just have it confirmed by an employee of City of Aiken. That was an enigma for me for several years now. Solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here