Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tripod Leaves?

Posted by blakrab TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 16:41

What kind of tree is this, with tripod leaves and small, winged seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tripod Leaves?

well, the leaves vaguely resemble the rare evergreen tree exbucklandia populinea (which had both simple poplar like leaves and "tripod" leaves) but "winged" seeds (which i unfortunately can't see very well in the picture so sorry) might just as easily point to the much more common deciduous trident maple/acer buergerianaum----or maybe something completely different, LOL??? hopefully, some body will come up with a better response to your question....

o

Is it possible to present both the leaves and the winged seeds close up and in more detail?? Some sort of Acer was my first thought as well but can't see clearly enough to be certain.

o

still having difficulty with getting a good look at the fruits but they SEEM to somewhat resemble those of firmiana simplex (a.k.a. "chinese parasol tree"/"varnish tree") which can have "maple-like" leaves of either/or 3 to 5 lobes but again, clearer pictures of the fruit might help a lot with a more definitive i.d.

o

Without a better picture, I'd say Acer buergerianum.

This post was edited by brandon7 on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:44

o

Thanks all! Here is a hi-res version of that photo, linked below...

I'd say it's not a Chinese Parasol Tree, as that has huge leaves the size of fig leaves. Whereas, these leaves were probably closer to around ~3"-4" long..

Acer buergerianum (Trident Maple or 3-Toothed Maple) does sound like a good candidate, though!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_buergerianum

Here is a link that might be useful: Hi-res

This post was edited by blakrab on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 0:35

o

I'm afraid that photo doesn't really make much difference. We need a closer look at both leaves and fruit. I can't see if the fruit have flat 'wings' like Maple fruit or are rounded.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 8:27

Wafer ash? I got a pic of one nearby:

Oops, saw your Hi-res pic. Looks like maple seeds....

Here is a link that might be useful: Wafer ash

This post was edited by beng on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 8:40

o

I think "brandon7" nailed it with acer buergerianum, or at least came very close

This post was edited by Huggorm on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 2:59

o

"I'm afraid that photo doesn't really make much difference."

After you click on the link...you should be able to click the photo again to fully enlarge it. Then, you can see full detail on many of the seeds..

It does appear to be a Trident Maple, though..

Here is a link that might be useful: Trident Maple

o

It could be Acer buergerianum (Trident Maple). Anyone think of that yet?

o

yes, several folks have already proposed this plant including yours truly who mentioned the possibility of the "mystery plant" being a trident maple in the first response to the original post (along with several other wild and crazy ideas, LOL)....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here