Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jacaranda growth rate?

Posted by ca_jeff 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 16:42

Hi, Can anyone tell me the average growth rate of a purple jacaranda? they really thrive in Long Beach (where I live). I really like the shape of tree, and are aware of the cleanup downside of the tree.

I would like to plant one in my front yard, but would like to get an idea of the growth rate and what a realistic mature height/spread I should anticipate in zone 10.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jacaranda growth rate?

The most popular is Jacaranda mimosifolia which is called Blue Jacaranda, more often known simply as the "Jacaranda"
It grows to a height of 40 to 50 feet and grows a Spread of 50 to 60 feet.

It grows fast usually 3 to 4 feet a year (if the soil is kept moderately moist most of the year. Dry condition will slow it down and it will not do as good) It might could even grow around 5 feet a year if the soil is rich, moist, and well drained. It is adaptable to many soil conditions even poor sandy soils but will not grow in an area of poor draining swampy soil. And it doesn't like salt.
The wood of the jacaranda tends to be brittle so be sure to train it to have one central trunk and major limbs well-spaced apart for street tree and other high-use areas. Unpruned side branches that grow almost straight up can become hazardous as they can split off the trunk at the crotches (base of the branch where it meets the trunk).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here