Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

Small tree recommendation please.

krikit
9 years ago

I have tried to research a small tree to put at my patio but seem to only confuse myself. There is currently a Natchez crape myrtle there but seeing all the Japanese beetles on it really irritates me and it will be removed. I am unfortunately restricted by a nearby power line. The power line is about 6' out from the spot where I want to plant & the lower cable line is about 12' from the ground. My husband says the cable line isn't as much of a concern as the power line which is 14' to 15' from the ground.

Other than the size restrictions my other concerns are ....

1. Does not attract Japanese beetles!
2. Moderate growth rate.
3. Other than leaf cleanup in Fall would like something not messy.

Some I am considering because I already have them in other locations and haven't seen Japanese beetles on them are ...southern wax myrtle; devil wood, osmantus Americanus; or American snowbell, styrax Americanus. I realize these may be shrubs rather than trees but that's ok so long as they can be limbed up.

Thanks in advance!
Frances

Comments (7)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Do you ever get heavy snow? I lost my limbed up Wax myrtle from snow load. It was a gorgeous small tree once.

Are you looking for something in a mushroom or umbrella form? ..for shade? ...or for screening?

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input Dave - we do get heavy snow at times. Exactly the kind of thing I need to consider. I don't really mind about the shape just so long as it wouldn't always get into the power lines, so if it's a taller tree it would be better if it were more conical. Casting some shade for my few little hostas would be great but I'm sure I won't be able to use one large enough in this area to gain a lot of shade for the patio. We are planning to cover the patio next year. I mostly enjoy seeing/feeding the hummingbirds but want it limbed up enough so that when I sit on the patio I can see through the underneath - approximately 4' - 5' I think. Quite possibly I'd be better off with a large shrub. Not attracting japanese beetles is a huge issue for me - they work on my nerves at a time I'm trying to relax, ha!

Thanks,
    Frances

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Also consider large shrubs for that space; Viburnum prunifolium for example.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Sambucus canadensis 'Aurea' or just the species or another cultivar-form is an option. They do get berries which the birds will be attracted to, fyi. American elderberry is on the list of plants that Japanese beetles are not attracted to, however, Japanese beetles will frequent just about everything and will move on to other plant material... & you just never know when they may break the rules so to speak.

Dax
    (see photo) perfect fit.
    forest farm has it for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I wonder if you'd consider an evergreen holly such as 'East Palatka'. They form a spreading pyramidal small tree - most leaves are not spiny. Not a huge tree. You get nice berries in winter. It can be limbed up.

Another evergreen might be Photinia (Red Tips) but they can get some size to them over time (15 to 20 feet).

We have a nice crape myrtle (Biloxi) near our deck but I've never noticed Japanese beetles. Seems some years are worse than others.

For deciduous, maybe Vitex?

• drrich2
    9 years ago

Do Japanese maples do well in your area? Fireglow is a red one that stays smaller than Bloodgood. In my limited experience Japanese beetles do eat on them some, but not really badly.

And especially with a small tree, spraying Bayer Advanced one time when the little buggers start showing up can probably nix the problem. That's even if they bother it enough to bother you.

Boulevard False Cypress can be a pretty small evergreen, if not poodle-cut into a topiary.

Richard.

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm reviewing all the suggestions an love the look of the sambucus but my husband is against anything with much of a bloom due to the mess so I'm looking at the Japanese maple or a holly - or at least that's what I'm thinking for now. Although I must say I also like the look of the viburnum but husband doesn't like the blooms. Probably will wait til fall to do this so I've got until then to think it over!

Again thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, I really appreciate it.
    Frances

Was thinking the vitex might be an option, as I have Shoal Creek planted in my yard and it is stunning - initially I looked and thought the beetles were leaving it alone, but looking closer and considering it for the planting spot I see it has quite a few beetles so I guess that is out too.

UPDATE - looking more at the red tips photinia - nice!

This post was edited by krikit on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:45