Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zanthe_gw

Please help me choose: Prairiefire or Redbud

zanthe
10 years ago

I will be planting 3 ornamental trees in a grouping and I literally can't decide between a Prairiefire Crabapple or a Redbud. I alread have a Prairiefire in the yard and I love it. I love the heart-shaped leaves on the Redbud. I don't have a specific Redbud variety in mind however I believe Eastern is more commonly seen in Central Iowa. I love the crababble for the birds but I worry that it won't look as pretty as it ages. I love the redbud for its flowers and leaves. Any experiences comparing these trees would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Personally I'd chose something else if its a grouping of three (something with more multi-seasonal appeal, like Crusader Hawthorn or autumn brilliance serviceberry or homestead buckeye or summer fun dogwood and the list goes on and on) but if I had to chose it would be Redbud. I don't like the color of the prairiefire leaves during the majority of the growing season. They are only good for the background to get that explosioin of flowers for 2 weeks and then thats it.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Well, I can tell you that when well sited, well maintained, etc. fl. crabs tend to be long-lived landscape plants. Also, for you the redbud is probably fine, but just a little further north-up here-they can look good some years but have lots of winter damage other years. But again, you're more in the proper range for the redbud.

I like them both but I'm kind of a crab nut, so long as the chosen cultivar has: Good disease resistance for your area, persistent fruit (for a nice, long fall/winter show), and the growth form I prefer in crabs, which is wider than tall. Can't remember the pertinent details on Prairie Fire, even given it's ubiquity.

+om

• rogerzone6
    10 years ago

The Prairefire like our two Centurion crabs will also provide a ever changing look. They emerge in the spring with maroon leaves, then come the fuscia flowers, before the leaves turn bronzy green, finally the fruit mixed in with the leaves in late summer. The fruit persist till the first frost, after which they are kind of inconspicuous. Our Redbud, well its no doubt spectacular in flower, but then fades into the background. If you are leaning towards Redbud, and want something with a bit more pop after the flowering season, have you considered Merlot or Forest Pansy Redbud?

• nurseryman33
    10 years ago

I have an Eastern redbud and a group of 3 Prairiefires. I prefer the redbud mostly because it doesn't sucker up like the crabs. I also prefer the fall color of the redbud.

• brad_s
    10 years ago

My Redbuds have been hit by Verticillium Wilt pretty hard over the years, but they're still hanging in there and looking quite good. This post is not to throw a wet blanket on the Redbuds as I like 'em too but just be aware of this if VW is a problem in your area.

VW is a heartbreaker for sure.

Brad N.IL/Z5

• zanthe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your comments! I am going with 3 Purple Prince crabapple trees to line the drive.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Interesting 360 there. Prariefire is a better plant in my opinion.

Growers push the Purple Prince as it grows faster.

Also the Morton Arb ranks Prariefire as excellent in four categories of disease resistant while Purple Prince gets excellent in two categories.

Two thumbs down from me!lol