Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my tree dying

Posted by bruceCK none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 17:28

I'm not sure why my tree is dying. We did have a small retaining wall installed a couple of years ago, but I do not remember any leaves turning colors in the past. It is now losing all of its leaves and may be discolored at the base of the trunk. Does anyone have any advise on saving or is it a lost cause. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my tree dying

Pic 2

o

It looks girdled at the base in the second photo. Unless there is bark on the backside that I can't see, I would say it is doomed.

o

Just a guess. When you had the retaining wall installed a couple of years ago they removed a lot of the main roots on that tree. It often takes trees several years to die.

The other possibility is when the grass gets weedeatered? the tree gets hit with the string and the tree was girdled.

I'd agree with nurseryman and say either way the tree is doomed.

o

its also telephone poled...

has much substrate did they add .. over the roots.. to set the wall???

ken

o

I guess you guys are right - it's doomed. The base of the trunk looks a different color .i.e. washed out. Not sure what telephone poled means.. I guess the roots can't get enough water. Thanks for the quick replies.

o

"telephone poled" means that, where it enters the ground, it is as straight-sided as a telephone pole.

In other words, the tree is planted too deep. (Did they add the dug soil when they built the wall?)

When planted at the correct depth, you'll see a slight flare just above ground level.

o

Oh, OK. I'm not really sure if some backfill made its way around the tree. Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here