Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of Sumac trees?

Posted by marcia7439 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 17:46

I have a beautiful sumac tree. It has produced hundreds more. I have gone thru and cut and pulled these things, till I can't anymore! I am afraid if my husband goes at it with a chainsaw, I will have 1000's of new ones sprouting from the root system.
They are all sprouting from roots of the large tree.

Is there a good time to cut?
What can I put on the stump to kill off the root system?

It is not in an area I can burn....

I am sure it is not the poisonous type. No white berries...Just red cones.

Thanks
Marcia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of Sumac trees?

Killing woody plants (like trees and shrubs) requires an herbicide formulated for woody plants. Brush B Gon is one such product.

Some people have reported good results will doing it in the fall (when the plant is storing up reserves in the roots). Make a fresh cut to expose the cambium layer (the green layer just under the bark) and apply the herbicide to that area.

o

Esh Thanks !
I am at my wits end! I wish my grass grew as well!
Thanks again!
Marcia

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 10:26

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to kill off your beautiful sumac tree?

o

Not really, just the other 1000 that it has growing on it's roots! If need be, the big one also.:-((
Got any ideas?
marcia

o

You likely will kill the parent tree if the babies you wish to kill are suckering off its roots. Herbicides translocate throughout the conjoined roots systems.

o

Turn the area underneath it into lawn and mow it. Or just mow it. It's easy and effective. Very, very few woody plants can handle that kind of continuous, radical pruning.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 11:17

Or turn the area into a sumac thicket. That in itself looks beautiful.

o

You don't actually have to "turn" the area into a sumac thicket. If you let the mother tree live, the babies will follow. They turn themselves in the saplings you want to get rid of.

o

I can't let them grow,
The mother tree is on the edge of a rock garden. It's within in the rock garden area where all the little ones are growning.
PROBLEM IS: my septic tanks are in that garden. The garden hides the tanks from view, and there are a couple of small bushes, and some flowers, but if I let it go to a thicket, the tanks will be damaged along the way. $$ for new tanks isn't in my budget. I bought the place 2 years ago, and not knowing what was weeds or flowers, I let it 'go' last summer...thus the little sumacs got a good hold on growing.
This year, I got it weeded, and cut the saplings, but I now have 3 times as many growing. I'm out there every week, but those little guys are determined to grow! I am sure If I had planted them, they would have died a long time ago!
I took a spray bottle with round-up and sprayed most of them. They are turning yellow, but I am afraid the roses, etc, will die too.
Thanks for all the help! It really is appreciated!
Marcia

o

Those who are amazed that you would want to remove your sumac tree have not lived under the curse of one. While they are fast growing and have wonderful fall color, it is impossible to keep the tree from completely taking over. I did have good luck removing one (thousands) in my yard. I cut the large tree down to the ground and then dug around the stump to the point where I could cut the roots and remove the stump. I made cuts into the ends of the remaining roots and applied large amounts of Ortho brush be gone to the exposed root ends. I left the "pit" open and repeated this process a couple of times. It has now been 5 years and I have not seen any signs of trees from sucker roots, now I just have to fight the seedlings starting from seed by birds from others still thriving in the area. While this was a huge project it was worth it. GOOD LUCK!!

o
Bear in mind, most of these 'solutions' are toxic

More info is coming out all the time about the toxicity of Round-Up--how it creates superweeds, causes spontaneous abortions in animals, and is linked to cancers. It lingers in soil, contaminates water, etc.
I'd eat my sumac before I'd give a dime to Monsanto. Ditto with Ortho.

o

Sumac is one tree that I'm seriously considering using herbicide for. I think I'm getting ready to go the Brush-Be-gone route. It is worse than anything else I've ever struggled with, including Bermuda.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here