Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
narrow crotches on oak

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 17:54

I have 2 chestnut oaks (not swamp ch oak) they have been in the ground for about 3 years, are growing rapidly and have narrow crotch angles and some crossing branches, I can prune to correct this but is that their habit of growth and will keep that way of growing even if I correct what I can reach now?I love the trees they have a rugged appearance dispite their youth but am suprised by the branching structure I'm seeing, they are in full sun and far from other trees. Thanks Poaky1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: narrow crotches on oak

Prune while you can. A lot of threads on here today showing poor branching structure.

If you want a vase shaped tree and it won't fall on your house let it go. Some folks will say trees have been growing for millions of years and have it figured out thanks to evolution. I think isolation in our open yards are something they didn't deal with in the cretaceous period though.

SO unless you have other reasons simulate the effects of some lower growing competition and prune what you can.

When do Chestnut Oaks want pruned? Fall? Can ya put a picture up?

o

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera and my cell phone is pretty basic. One of these days I,ll get a camera. I am worried about future breakage, the way it looks is not a problem. What do you mean simulate the effects of some lower growing competition?Do you mean to plant around the base? Like a shrub or something?

o

I should be more clear.

I mean limb it up to simulate the effects of growing in a forest like most trees are designed to do.

SOMEPLACE there has to be a link to a more eloquent wording, but I consider tight "V"'s in branch to trunk angles to be bad and closer to 90 degree angles good.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 13:43

Significance of narrow crotches varies with species and cultivar, if you tree to eliminate all narrow crotches on a species that often produces them or a fastigiate cultivar you may end up with very little tree left. What is happening below where two branches meet is what determines the likelihood of future breakage. Maybe Google "included bark" and "bark ridge" for more on this.

o

I read the article on included bark and understand the reason for breakage in narrow crotches after seeing the pictures, before seeing the pictures I thought it was that the branches didn't get thick enough because of the two branches being too close instead of the sectioning off thing that the pic shows. I searched online for pics of chestnut oak quercus montana or quercus prinus ( saw both names)and the older trees look sort of vase shaped anyway. Thanks for the input Toranado also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here