Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stealintv

Weeping Pussy Willow help

stealintv
10 years ago

Hello,

I a have cracked or split trunk on my weeping pussy willow tree. This tree was bought from a nursery and has been in the ground since the end of May. It looks fantastic on the top and even appears to have grown in the little time I have had it. In the picture, you can see two of the three splits (one on back too) that have appeared. When I saw the first crack, I thought maybe I hit the tree by accident with the riding lawn mower. About a week later, I was watering and pulling weeds and noticed two more cracks had appeared. They are all around the trunk so it could not have been the lawnmower. .

Any ideas what is going on with my poor tree? I have researched a little and read that it may be sun-scorched...? Can anyone confirm that? Is there anything I should do to cover those hole? (Pruning paint, wrap, etc?)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no tree experience. This year was my first time planting, but I know how to google and am not afraid to read.

Thanks in advance!
-------------------------------
edit: In doing more research I found that this type of damage may be caused by rabbits.... comments?

This post was edited by stealintv on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 18:32

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths