Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac Question

Posted by pushindirt (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 18:28

My lilacs finished blooming about 2 weeks ago.
I want to harvest the seeds but am so ignorant how.
Am I correct in assuming that the following picture is the seeds? If so, when should I pick them. They do not come off easily. I have to yank pretty good. Are they good to pick now, then dry and plant in the spring? (or maybe these aren't even the seeds I'm looking for).
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac Question

Not ripe yet. Wait until they turn brown and start to split open at the tips, probably late September or October (maybe a bit earlier, depending on where you are). There are two seeds (sometimes just one) in each of those small pods; when the pods open fully (pull apart by hand, if the seeds don't fall out easily), the seeds can be shaken out for planting.

After extracting the seeds from the pods, keep them refrigerated at +1 or +2C in sterile damp sand over the winter, and sow in spring. The seeds may germinate soon after sowing or (if you're less lucky!) take up to a year to germinate.

Resin

o

Wow, thanks for the help.
One more question. Any idea why one of my trees has no seeds? I mean zilch, none, nana. Strange isn't it? And it my prettiest too.
Dave

o

Might be that it has double flowers? Double-flowered plants are commonly sterile.

Resin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here