Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut trees ...

Posted by jujujojo none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 18:44

I wonder why these are not more widely used in the US. The fruits are so delicious when tender ... you need to remove the thin green cover (bitter).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut trees ...

cuz of the mess, the juglone, the staining and the maggots!

They are cool trees, but I don't want any in the middle of my lawn.

o

The nuts in their covers are large enough to be a nuisance, and the juglone issue corkball mentioned can limit your options for other plants in the area.

Richard.

o

My native walnuts are difficult to crack also. Me and the vise, it is entertaining. At a dinner party a no no.

Minimal fall color also.

But hey, I love their structure and just the feel of their wood.

o

Too much work to crack these at home. The nut processing places don't even take black walnuts.

o

I have got a manchurian walnut tree, I think those nuts are even harder to crack than the american species but I have yet to see the little tree starting to yield

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:39

Too hard to crack, but the nut flavor is, IMO, superior to the typical "English" walnut. You can buy the shelled nuts, but very expensive (labor of shelling).

I seem to have an epidemic of B walnut sprouts on my lot. There must have been several that were cut down over 10 yrs ago (before I got here), and their nuts just now sprouting everywhere. One I left to grow puts out 3-4' shoots in a season.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:42

Wow, thanks for letting me know this, walnuts are very popular for their edible seeds, but didn't know you could eat it as a fruit. I think I should start picking some now and I imagine they are like peaches, or at least I hope.....

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:49

lkz5ia, there are recipes for "pickling" black walnut fruits (husk, shell and all), but you have to harvest them before the inner shell gets too hard. Need to be able to shove a toothpick thru the nut -- if not, it's too mature for pickling.

o

Is this a Walnut Tree sapling? Its leaves seem to resemble that most?
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/british-natural-history/urban-tree-survey/identify-trees/tree-factsheets/s-to-y/walnut/

I don't think it is a Tree of Heaven or Sumac...or at least hope not?

Or is it possibly something else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Zoomed out..

o

It's so slim, isn't it a vine? Like a wisteria of some kind

This post was edited by Huggorm on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:15

o

^ Good question...I don't know? Hence, I'm asking!

Most Wisteria branches seem to have a single leaf at the end, though?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria leaves

o

LOOKS like black walnut to me, but i could be wrong

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here