Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Founder of the American Herbalists Guild says...

Posted by scarediecats (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 18:56

Michael Tierra L.Ac., O.M.D., Founder of the American Herbalists Guild

http://www.planetherbs.com/specific-herbs/albizzia-the-tree-of-happiness.html

The flowers and bark of the mimosa tree (Albizia julibrissin) are among the most valued of Chinese botanicals for relieving anxiety, stress and depression. Commonly found growing throughout temperate zones in the Western United States albizia is native to China, Persia, Korea and Japan. It is traditionally known as "huan hua" (flowers) and "he huan pi" (bark) and popularly as the "happiness herb," and "collective happiness bark" by the Chinese. Recently some Chinese herbalists and acupuncturists have even called it 'herbal Prozac. Its use was first documented in the Shen Nong Ben Cao (Divine Husbandman's Classic of the Materia Medica) during the 2nd century for its mood supportive and calming properties as well as a tonic. Chinese people traditionally recommend its use for anyone who is suffering from grief as a result of a severe loss.
Both the bark and the flowers of albizia are used as a calming sedative in Oriental traditional medicine. Categorized in the Chinese Materia Medica as a calming spirit herb, the bark is thought to 'anchor' the spirit, while the flowers lighten it. The flowers have also been used for the treatment of insomnia, amnesia, sore throat, and contusion in Oriental traditional medicine (Kang, et al) as well as depression, melancholy and anxiety.
Considering the proliferation of antidepressant drugs throughout the Western world with their increasingly recognized adverse effects, it's wonderful that nature has, in abundance, a safer and better alternative probably growing in close proximity to one's doorstep. In my opinion, albizia offers a more profound effect in treating depression and anxiety than the two most commonly promoted herbs, St Johnswort (Hypericum perforatum) and Kava (Piper methisticum) and thus should be more widely used.

(ref. Wikipedia)...
The Mimosa SEEDS are also used as a food for livestock and by wildlife, and the sweet-scented flowers are a good nectar source for honeybees, humming birds and butterflies.

(I added the website because I have only inserted part of the lecture here. Further reading is recommended because it is highly informative and interesting!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Founder of the American Herbalists Guild says...

Maybe it wouldn't be so invasive if everyone harvested all the products it apparently offers, preventing its spread.

hortster

o

Kudzu has a big following too! It's used for human food, animal feed, medicine, source of fiber for all types of things, etc etc. However, like Albizia julibrissin, I won't be planting any!

o

"Kudzu has a big following too! It's used for human food, animal feed, medicine, source of fiber for all types of things, etc etc. However, like Albizia julibrissin, I won't be planting any!"

yeah. I have a line about if you plant an invasive you can't complain when your neighbor's zoysia or bamboo or noise from his stereo or trash comes and takes over your yard.

Now I have a Fraxinus Americana or however white ash is spelled in latin lol.

I understand the wood of white ash is used to make the good baseball bats so to MLB it is imperative to treat their white ash crops for EAB when it reaches the "fields" bat makers harvest from. This is probably worth quite a bit of money per tree.

In my yard, my tree is never going to make a baseball bat. So no matter how good the wood is the fact it is used to make bats is of minimal importance.

SO... I dunno. I guess if you harvest your mimosa and use it for medicinal reasons or if the doctor you quoted is then more power to you.

If Redbud or Dogwood flowers are not attractive to native animals the fact mimosa is would be more important as well.

scarediecats, I am sorry I dislike your favorite tree.

o

It may be a wonderful tree in it's native habitat. However, not every tree should be in every location. Also, if you have one in your yard and are depressed, what is the proper dosage? How do you administer it...chew it, make it into a tea? Learning an herb can be beneficial to some people is only the first step, dosage is crucial. Quite a few herbal medicines can be quite dangerous in the wrong dose. (eg. Ephedrine, Feverfew, Digitalis, willow bark).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here