Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formandfoliage

Some fun photos of trunks

Latest blog post attached - having fun with trunks.

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Trunk Show

Comments (31)

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Here's one -- black gum:

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice! Looks corky.

Trunks are so under-appreciated. I wanted to include Carpinus (musclewood) but didn't like our photos. Older Carpinus have amazing trunks.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Here's another corker -- hackberry:

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Can't forget Shagbark Hickory! My favorite.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:397947}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Tsuga canadensis

{{gwi:397960}}

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 20:09

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love it! Little did I know how many trunk fans there were out there!

Sara

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

An underrated feature for sure!

Lilac, Musclewood, Lacebark Pine, Acer triflorum, An asian birch of some sort, bald cypress and Ulmus parvifolia

{{gwi:397961}}

{{gwi:397962}}

{{gwi:397963}}

{{gwi:397964}}

{{gwi:397965}}

{{gwi:328221}}

{{gwi:397966}}

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

whaas what a wonderful selection!

Sara

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I love trunks too! Enjoying these pics.

In my yard, pecan.
    {{gwi:397967}}

On a smaller scale, Dracaena housing Tillandsia.
    {{gwi:397968}}

In OH, Hocking Hills.
    {{gwi:397969}}

{{gwi:397970}}

At a park in Dublin, OH.

• botann
    10 years ago

Stewartia monadelpha. It sometimes has seedlings popping up here and there.
    Mike

This post was edited by botann on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 13:28

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp,
    I used to live 2 doors down from that tree in Scioto Park in Dublin, Ohio. I took many senior and family potraits on, under and around it :)
    I've lived in Florida for 5 years now but that Osage Orange tree will always be special to me.
    Normally they grow upright, I always thought that maybe this one might have been struck by lightning many years ago to obtain that form. Whatever the reason, it's a beautiful tree.
    Thanks for the memory :)

10 years ago

Oh wow that's cool! I've wondered for decades also what that tree could say about its' life if it could talk. Thanks for telling me what it is, I've wondered in passing but never followed up on finding out. That's the tree that makes hedge apples? You would be sad to see all of the empty spots in the park - and elsewhere - where ash trees used to be. My friend lives a few miles east of there and her yard went from being deep shade to tons of sun with the loss of 10 trees. The house where I used to live now has a sunny front yard (a huge part of my reason for buying it, the shady driveway,) with the loss of what was a mature ash tree. I'm so glad I moved before that, way too sad for me.

I went back to Ohio, but my city trees were gone...

• buckeye15
    10 years ago

Great Pretenders reference!

• buckeye15
    10 years ago

This thread and your blog post target a favorite topic of mine. Thank you Sara.

I posted this pic in a thread about American Beech, but thought it might apply here as well.

Fagus grandifolia 'Diamond Bark'.

• buckeye15
    10 years ago

Here is another American Beech I found in a woods in Avon, Ohio a couple years ago...very similar the the Diamondbark Beech.

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp,
    We moved into that house in 93 and the entire property was trees. By the time we had moved down here in 08, we had lost 2 of the biggest apple trees and a humongous cherry to lightning, we lost a 200+year old black cherry that started dying right after the city dug down the property-line on my neighbors side to put a drainage pipe from Riverside to the Scioto, coincidence? I think not. Then we lost 10 or so trees that were pulled roots and all out of the ground when a small tornado crossed the road and went down our property. Then, the last few years we were there, the emerald ash borer hit and started killing tons of trees.
    I drove by on our Marion to visit relatives a few years ago and the only trees that seemed to be doing well were the white pines, spruces and walnuts.
    It is sad...

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Yes, it is the hedge apple (road apple) tree :)

• botann
    10 years ago

Sequoia sempervirens, 'Cantab'.

• botann
    10 years ago

Incense Cedar, Calocedrus decurrans.

• botann
    10 years ago

Acer capillipes, a snake bark maple.
    This tree totally outgrew it's space and I had to cut it down. This piece is headed to the woodshed.
    Mike

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holy s**t, I thought that 'Cantab' was a dwarf! Mine looks like a shrub. Love the maple - at least you have a photo!

Sara

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

"I thought that 'Cantab' was a dwarf!"

Well, compared to the species...it is.

tj

• botann
    10 years ago

Sara, my 'Cantab' is 45 ft. tall. I had no idea it would get that big.
    I bought it has a groundcover. One went up and I let it go. I have been moving other plants out from under it as it has grown.

I have a few seedlings from the original Acer capillipes. One is about 15 ft. tall. It's been my experience that they grow relatively fast.
    Mike

• RugbyHukr
    10 years ago

buckeye15,

You have a nasty bark inclusion in your tree. If that smaller branch is facing any targets, you may want to lighten the load on that branch or support it.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Cantab is short, squat, 'droopy' and was grown with multiple leaders. The foliage is similar to the species or to 'Kelly's Prostrate', but 'KP' is flat, flat, flat. Mike - yours is erect and regal. Another labeling/behavioral mystery?

I have now hijacked my own post!

Sara

• botann
    10 years ago

Here's the base of the Cantab.
    Little trunks! lol
    Mike

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes! That is what my Cantab looks like - that little guy!

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes! That is what my Cantab looks like - that little guy!

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

purpleinopp and rvird01, it was sad when I drove to Akron to see my family. The EAB is spotty in NE Ohio (much worse in C-bus from what I understand) but there were areas where it seemed like half the trees were dead (99% looked like ashes). Then a stretch where they all looked fine.

10 years ago

I haven't really been following the EAB story much, too heartbreaking, but believe some municipalities have chosen to remove ash trees prophylactically.

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

I think it was around 2006 when they found them in Dublin. I know they started preventative treatments on healthy trees and cut down the infected ones. We didn't catch the ones in our ash trees until the larva started making those trails on the bark. We had to cut down several. Last I heard tey were still fighting them :(