Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ospreynn

Grafting pin oak to provide tolerance to alkaline soils

ospreynn
10 years ago

I was wondering if oaks are commonly grafted.. and if so, do they grow well for years. I'm talking 50, 100 years down the road..... I was thinking in having some pin oaks grafted onto Shumard or some other alkaline tolerant species... has this been done before?

osprey

Comments (10)

• dricha
    10 years ago

I don't think so. White oaks can be grafted but I think most varietal red oaks are done from cuttings. Check the link of Pavia nursery in Belgium.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pavia nursery

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are you sure, I believe it is possible to graft red oaks as well.... I was concerned about the rootstock providing necessary iron

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

There are more incompatibility issues amongst the red/black oaks than with the white oak group, but some folks are grafting them - and I've seen discussions on another list just this week regarding grafting pin oak onto Shumard and other species that are more pH tolerant, and it seems to work well.

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi lucky,

do you mind sharing some links to those discussions? very interesting indeed.....
    I wonder what other rootstock can be used....

osprey

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

osprey,
    Can't link to 'em, as it's a 'restricted' discussion group.
    Long and short of it is that, several folks have had some success - albeit with low numbers of plants - grafting things like Q.palustrus and Q.lobata, which don't fare well in a particular area or soil type onto appropriate understocks which are well-suited to the growing conditions.

Can try to check back, but I believe the pin-on-Shumard combination you mentioned in your original post was one that had worked well.

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi lucky,

If you can double check it would be nice... I also believe pin and shumards are compatible....

What is a problem with Q. lobata? why would you like to graft it onto something else....

osprey

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Have not grown lobata here - well, not in years - but evidently there's something about soil/moisture or something that it just 'doesn't like' on its own roots here in the east - but grafted on bicolor or macrocarpa, it seems to do just fine - or so I'm told.
    I do have one small graft of Q.macrocarpaXlobata growing here; expect the hybrid will be just fine.

I've been grafting members of the white oak group for years - using mostly macrocarpa rootstock, as that's what I have readily available.
    Just started trying a few red/blacks a year or so back; had decent success fostering grafts onto some young M.rubra trees planted alongside the driveway until I can get some more seedlings going for dedicated rootstock use.

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a small lobata in the ground for almost two years now.. so far so good. Do you happen to have pics of those macrocarpaxlobata? I bet it is a very interesting plant.
    Have you been able to graft any pin oaks onto rubra rootstock. I wonder what other rootstock may be compatible. The little I have read tells me that red oaks are extremely hard to graft, with possible incompatibility issues many years after grafting.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Just grow a Shumard - far better tree all-around IMHO.

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have 4 or 5 shumards already.. I really would like to have a pin tho... it has a very distinctive branching pattern...
    but you are right, shumard is a very good tree, and does very well around here...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting