Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdragofire

Tree being eaten

MDragofire
10 years ago

My tree leaves and teh bark are being eaten by something. The tree is a Kwanzan cherry tree, I live in Houston, Texas, i would like to know if this tree can still be saved and what might be eating it.

Comments (13)

• MDragofire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another image of the bark at the bottom.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

That lesion at the bottom is where somebody whanged into it with the lawnmower a couple of years ago and knocked off a big chunk of bark. Or buzzed it pretty good with the weedwhacker.
    It's not a new lesion - you can see how it's producing big rolls of callus tissue around the edges in its attempt to cover over the defect.

• MDragofire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well i doubt its that i never used a lawn mower and its only been in the ground for 8 months, i think it has to be some kind of bug look at my leaves they look like sticks :(

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

The leaves being eaten and the damage to the trunk are two separate issues. Unless you have a better idea, I'd tend to think Lucky "hit the nail on the head".

• MDragofire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Come to think of it i never used a weed whacker or lawnmower( i Hand pull all the grass and weeds around it since im scared those machines might hurt it) but we do have these Huge dogs that like to come into our yard today i had to chase them out wonder if they did anything they are supper big . they might of been messing with the tree trunk

i just hope there is a way to save it i just more worried about the holes in the trunk its like something ate its way out, people say its a beetle ?

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Does the wound face the west?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

its only been in the ground for 8 months

===>>> if you have a warranty.. return it ...

and if you get another... let us help you plant it .... this one looks telephone-poled ....

it doesnt matter what the bugs are.. there is nothing left for them.. so if it releafs.. most likely... they will be long gone... [besides the fact.. that it already is releafing.. and those arent damaged ..]

i dont know if these are grafted.. but if they are.. your sprouts are probably coming from below the graft ....

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Disease/damage/insects aside, that is one of the worst looking specimens of a Kanzan cherry I've ever seen. I hope you didn't pay much for it cuz it's pretty much worthless! These are not especially expensive trees - a 6 footer here runs around $65. Get rid of it and try again with a taller, more tree-like and better looking/healthy specimen. And keep any lawn grass or weeds well away from the trunk - a 3' diameter circle around the trunk properly mulched will help to avoid any mechanical damage, assist with moisture retention and allow good visualization to monitor for insects.

That healthy looking new growth coming from the base IS rootstock growth - both ornamental and fruiting cherries are typically grafted to Prunus avium rootstock.

• MDragofire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks it is grafted i also have a yoshino cherry tree can you guys tell me if its doing alright it seems to be healthy

• MDragofire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another close up of my Yoshino cherry tree

• MDragofire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah sorry that first one was the first tree i got payed like about 10 dollars for it off arbor day , i didn't know anything about trees back then so now i know a little bit more, i shall get rid of it and get a 6 foot one most likely then.

• MDragofire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and are you sure that is the root stock growth, i mean the sprout is above the grafted region, can the plant still make its root stock growth above teh grafted region ?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

10 dollars for it off arbor day

===>> be excited you got it to live as long as you did ...

be done with the ugly one...

ken