Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID tree and determine if it's dying

Posted by norwei 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 19:53

Hi Everyone, we moved into a house late last year and we were so happy especially our little girls to have a tree in the backyard. We have no idea what it is and we didn't think of it much then but it seems like it is dying. I am hoping that somebody can help us identify the tree, the disease it is suffering from and if it's worth saving based on the extent of the damage. New leaves come out fine but then shortly thereafter it shrinks and turns brown. The trunk and branches have what looks like swollen joints.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID tree and determine if it's dying

Here's a picture a step further back that shows the trunk.

o

And here's a close up of the leaves that turned brown and looks diseased compared to some healthy leaves

o

Whereabouts are you located?

o

My only guess is Myrica rubra but it doesn't quite look right for that. Indeed would be helpful to know where you are.

o

Looks like Szyzgium luehmanii. Google that name and see if it is your tree. It is commonly referred to as Lilly Pilly. As others noted, hard to know what to suggest until we know what it is and where it's growing.

o

I am in Brentwood, CA zip code 94513

This post was edited by norwei on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 22:16

o

davidrt28, I googled myrica rubra and the red things (I assume are berries) on our tree doesn't have the same texture as the images that came up in the search for myrica rubra.

It does look a bit more like Lilly Pilly.

o

Curious could this tree could have "crown gall". We lost a shrub to this. Noticed it this past spring when working in the yard. It is know to leave growths in it's wake. ?

So not saying that is the issue...but...it's what came to my mind when poster described growths.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here