Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Willow help

Posted by katisu 5 Indy (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 20:01

We have a gorgeous willow tree in our new yard. I don't know what type of willow it is, but the one side and the underneath look dead. It even lost a very large branch on that side. Is this normal? Is there anything we can do? What is the proper way to remove the dead branches?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Willow help

Here is the other side, so you can see it is healthy-looking.

o

Do willow trees split? I just realized that it looks like there are two trees right next to each other at the base of the trunk. Could it be two? Or do they look like that?

o

It's a 'corkscrew' or contorted willow.
That's what they do...rapid growth, then unsightly die-back.
I have a couple here that look not unlike that.
IMO, they're best as a coppiced specimen - whacked back to ground level every 2-3 years, fostering regrowth of multiple vigorous contorted shoots.
Left to grow to 'tree' status, you end up with an ugly thing with extensive areas of dead limbs.

o

Ok, thank you! I love it too much to chop it down, but I'm definitely going to remove the dead parts. Good to know it's fairly normal and that it's not just dying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here