Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenacre

Autumn Olive and Russian Olive

tenacre
9 years ago

Hello.

On another thread, treebird identified some trees in a picture I posted as Autumn Olive.

Below is a link to some close-up pix of foliage and bark. Are they sufficient to tell the difference between Autumn Olive and Russian Olive?

Circumference of trunk is approx 13 inches (not including the smaller trunk to the side)

Here is a link that might be useful: close-up pix

This post was edited by tenacre on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 20:31

Comments (10)

• sam_md
    9 years ago

looks like Autumn Olive to me.

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by sam_md z7 MD
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 21:05:
    "looks like Autumn Olive to me"

Not disagreeing, but how can you tell the difference?

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Hi tenacre, One reason I know Autumn Olive only too well is because it is a pernicious weed in my state, Maryland. Our state tree nursery actively distributed them, the soil conservation districts did the same until they stopped due to loud, screaming environmentalists. I have never seen Russian Olive.
    I considered for a moment that you might have Elaeagnus commutatus the native Silverberry. I don't think that's what you have. Sure would be helpful to know which state you are posting from.
    Russian Olive is a tremendous problem in some parts of the country. It is supposed to have "willow" like leaves and yellow flowers.
    Eradication of Autumn Olive is not gonna be easy but it can be done. The fruits are so plentiful and there is a buildup of dormant seed in the seed bank. Set a goal to eliminate it over a period of years and it can be done.

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some pictures of the west end entrance to our "center trail" though our "young woods", taken in May2009 (8 years after brush-hogging down to ground level the shoulder-high weeds in former farmland):

http://tenacre.hostei.com/olive2009/

The (autumn) olive trees shimmering in the summer breeze were stunning, viewed from our porch, deck, and kitchen window.

Now that they have been overgrown by the larger trees (some now over 40 ft tall... in 13 years), they are a nuisance... just underbrush.

This fall I'm going to break out the chainsaw.

All these years I've been calling them Russian Olive, based on some pictures in a tree book.

I'll make sure to get some close-up photos as the fruits mature.

• RugbyHukr
    9 years ago

On elaeagnus commutata the fruit will remain green and on elaeagnus umbellata the fruit will turn red. Dead giveaway.

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

> Posted by rugbyhukr SoCal
    > Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 13:30
    > On elaeagnus commutata the fruit will remain green and on
    > elaeagnus umbellata the fruit will turn red. Dead giveaway.

Russian Olive is Elaeagnus angustifolia

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some more close-ups of the foliage and fruit:

http://tenacre.hostei.com/AO/

I added more pix 7:17pm EDT

This post was edited by tenacre on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 19:16

• sam_md
    9 years ago

pic taken today in Maryland of Autumn Olive with silvery underside of leaves and immature fruits.
    {{gwi:399476}}

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

> Posted by sam_md z7 MD
    > Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 10:18
    > pic taken today in Maryland of Autumn Olive with silvery
    > underside of leaves and immature fruits.

Thanks Sam.

Can you get a close-up of one of those fruits? Something like this:

http://tenacre.hostei.com/AO/fruit/AO_2370.JPG

Can anyone post a comparable photo of Russian Olive for comparison?

This post was edited by tenacre on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 11:36

• weedlady
    5 years ago

This site describes the difference between the two species. Also, Russian olive Elaeagnus angustifolia) is given tree status, whille E. umbellata is listed as a shrub. Unfortunately, the site misspells the scientific names in various ways in a number of places! Difference between the two species of Elaeagnus

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville