Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Chlorotic Nyssa?

whaas_5a
10 years ago

Planted this Nyssa from an IL seed source as a 3 gallon plant spring 2011. It grew nicely 2011 and 2012.

This year it only put out new leaves and seems to show varying degrees of chlorosis. If that is the case I'll have to move on.

Perhaps something else is going on here or is the issue correctly identified? Just surprised to see if show up in its 3rd growing season.

{{gwi:399538}}

Comments (5)

• corkball
    10 years ago

I can commiserate - my black gum have same issue to varying degrees, although mine are first year. Maybe weather related? My soil is essentially neutral, and they supposedly like acid. Also, the sunnier the position the better they seem to do.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

This year it only put out new leaves and seems to show varying degrees of chlorosis.

==>>> not your best sentence structure.... what else would it put out.. old leaves.... its not evergreen is it???

i have one 2 foot oak .... that as it leafed out.. it got hit with a 23 degree freeze... and immediately went to fall color.. for 6 weeks... and is just now seeming to green up ... one might say.. wait for it.. it looked chlorotic ....

are you absolutely positive.. such may not have happened to yours???

ken

ps: otherwise sporadic damage around the yard on trees from the freeze ...

• hortster
    10 years ago

My soil is pH 7.5ñ and I have had no problem with chlorosis on my black gum. Looks like it might be some type of leaf spot disease. I have a similar thing happen each year to my lacebark elm - small black spots form on some of the leaves which eventually look chlorotic. After the spots occur the green area shrinks down just along the veins. Soon after that they get completely yellow and fall off.

Having said that, if most or all of the foliage has the same appearance you probably do have chlorosis. It might have weakened the tree's defenses and it became infected with the leaf spot more easily.

As worthwhile as the tree is I would do a thorough clean up of foliage that falls and see how it looks next year.

hortster

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking leaf spot was a given with Nyssa.
    Then 'Haymanred' being the only cultivar selected for leaf spot resistance.

I guess its plausible that the leaf spot is weakening it and causing the yellowing.

Ken, I meant new leaves only as in there is no twig or shoot elongation. The two previous seasons it grew 6-9" each year. .

Here is another picture. If its chlorotic I'd like to replace it this fall. It took some self coersion to plant only a 3 gallon in this spot. To now have it become a bust going into year 3 isn't all that encouraging to remain patient. Although I am willing to give it another season if it can't be identified as chlorotic with certainty.

{{gwi:399539}}

• hortster
    10 years ago

On the elm, only ONE black spot causes the leaf to eventually abscise and fall. Looking at the last pic I can see at least one black spot per leaf on 95% of the "chlorotic" leaves. Wonder if it might be related, or maybe just another black spot fungus. A lot of the leaves still look unaffected.

The genus of the guilty fungus on elm is Stegophora. But there are a bunch of black spot fungi that are specific to a certain genus and likely Nyssa.

Out of curiosity I googled black spot and found that a typical malady of Nyssa is "black leaf spot." Never had it here.

Hope, if that is the cause, that puppy stays in WI! (No offense!) And also hope that it is a temporary blight.

hortster way south of you