Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osage Orange near me

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 20:19

This is an old OO near me, I mentioned posting a pic in someone elses post, I can't find their post, but here's the tree pic  photo DSC00407_zpsa27593c9.jpg  photo DSC00406_zpsd3296a2a.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osage Orange near me

I know, it's not a super big tree, but it is pretty old. My sis and I used to take walks back in the 80's, and this tree was this size back then, so it's sorta old, to me anyway.

o

Very intresting species. Can easly survive for over a century then resist rot for another century. Wood that resembles stone more so than wood when sanded. Was used (still is by some purest long bow enthuisests) by native Americans to fashion bows. Makes a fine leaf spring for wagons and antique cars. Squirrels love to eat the fruit which is reccomended for many uses around the pioneer home. There is presently a large one standing on our family farm that was large when Grandad bought the place in 1901. aah if only that old tree could talk.

o

Klem, post Grandad's OO if you live near it now.

o

Nice looking bark on that tree

o

This is the IL State Champion Maclura pomifera: Osage Orange

photo StarhillForestArboretumOctober20130012.jpg
(click on photo to magnify 2x)

Dax

o

What are those things hanging down?

o

Spanish moss. They hang it for the birds for nest building.

Dax

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 10:27

Dax, how tall is it? I thought I recall one near that size up here at the Milwaukee botanical garden.

o

In our back yard. 47.5"c Nice and straight. Not bad for a single trunk.

o

That is a nice one tenacre,I never knew it thrived that well around the Great Lakes. So rare to see a straight one.

o

Gosh I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid and I grew up in the Great Lakes Region. They were very common until the boomers grew up, bought starter houses and cut down all the trees to avoid raking leaves and cleaning the fruit mess. Now I never, ever see any of these trees.

o

Those pesky boomers!!

o

not sure whaas. I thought for certain I could find the information on the IL Big Tree Register and it's not on it, surprisingly.

I'd guess 50'... purely a guess.

Dax

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 8:56

Here's a 'Whiteshield' OO I planted yrs ago (no later pic -- camera died). It's 30' tall now in the most retched "soil" imaginable.

o

Here's one I "planted" from seed (in center of picture).

"Planted" meaning over the course of a few years, I collected hedge apples from a particularly prolific tree and heaved them up into the air to crash land in an unmowed area. So I do not have an exact year of germination. I'd guess maybe 4 years ago?

o

I have some new information, guess I thought the tree I posted is a State Champ when in fact there is no Osage Orange IL champion... my friend writes:

There is no Illinois state champ Osage-orange because the silly foresters don't consider it a native species! I've seen a couple that were more than 15', and one just over 20', in circumference. Our Alpha tree is the county champion, about 14', with a very broad crown, and (guessing) about 60' tall.

Dax

o

Don't worry Dax, I make mistakes of memory all the time. I also try and post about my mistakes as you have also, if I remember screwing up, nobody is perfect. I had read that the OO is native to Texas. The Osage indians used the tree or it's "fruit" in some fashion, and they were a Texas "indeginous" tribe. I screwed up, I remembered that OO I took pics of as growing into that tractor shelter in the background, and it is quite a distance from that tractor shelter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here