Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
identify this tree please

Posted by crobbins56 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 20:24

this tree is growing where an old house once stood so could have been planted there by the previous owners .it is just starting to bloom this week ,it is aprox 30 ft tall and the leaves are about 6 inches long with deeply serrated edges .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: identify this tree please

It's a chestnut tree. Probably a Chinese Chestnut...it's the only species commonly that has any real resistance to Chestnut blight. If you get any nuts in the husks, they'll be good eating.

o

Unless there's another one close by (like within 100 ft or so), most of the nuts won't develop/fill - but you'll still get the malevolently spiky burrs.

o

Unless there's another one close by (like within 100 ft or so), most of the nuts won't develop/fill - but you'll still get the malevolently spiky burrs.

o

That is quite late blooming, is there enough time to grow those large nuts in the remainder of the zone 5 summer?

o

Yes...plenty of time to grow the nuts. Cross pollination is critical though. A lone chestnut won't develop nuts.

o

Where is the tree located? Hard to say for sure from the photo, but it might be an American chestnut. What do the chestnut experts out there say?

o

Hard to say for sure, but looks very American like. Chinese leaves are shorter, wider and shinier. American twigs also tend to be reddish brown, where chinese are more green.

Could also be a hybrid or possibly European (C. sativa) - I have never seen a sativa in real life ;)

check out: http://www.acf.org/Tree_ID/chinamerover_02.php

o

thanks everyone for the identification .I have been driving by it for a couple of years and have always wondered what it might be .Even have taken it into garden centers and no one could help .i googled it for further info and think corkball may be right in the american variety as the leaves are long ,slender and pointed .i have never seen any nuts probably due to it being a loner .

o

smivies is right. I can see burs forming, but unless there is another chestnut to pollinate them, the burs will have empty, shriveled husks in them. Watch the spiny burs in the fall when the weather starts to cool. They will split open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here