Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cockspur Thornless Hawthorn

Posted by Putsy Colorado (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 20:31

I had a landscaping company plant two Cockspur Thornless Hawthorns that seem to be struggling. First of all the trunk itself is very 'bark-y' with the bark curling away from the trunk. Is that normal? Also, the trees keep sprouting at the bottom. I trim them about every 2-3 months. I've had them almost two years. They do leaf but one has some leaves turning reddish already. I was told to water them them twice week and these trees are exposed to full sun for about 6 hours day. Also I feel thorns on the clippings at the base of the tree - so is this really a 'thornless' cockspur? Help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cockspur Thornless Hawthorn

Is that tree really alive? It looks dead to me with that bark falling of

o
RE: Cockspur Thornless Hawthorn

The appearance of the bark in the photo is not unusual for cockspur hawthorn. If the trees leafed out well (no dead branches or twigs) and most of the leaves are normal in color, then they're probably doing OK. A small number of off-color leaves would not be surprising since the trees were planted less than 2 years ago. Thornless cockspur is grafted (budded) on common hawthorn rootstock so the suckers will have thorns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here