Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify this tree

Posted by rvird01 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 20:40

Hi all,

I hope you can help me identify this tree that I first noticed growing on our property 3 years ago. At that time, it was about a foot tall but has grown to about 8 feet tall and is beautifully shaped. I'll post pics of the whole tree, the bark and the leaves.

The bark is really silvery with brown horizontal stripes, the pics make it appear more white. We live in central Florida in the sandhills and longleaf pine woodlands and this tree is growing under the pines.

Thanks for all your help.

Rhonda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify this tree

Here's a shot of the bark on the trunk.

o

And lastly, the leaves. Thanks for all your help.

Rhonda

o

Prunus Serotonia?

o

Thanks so much Nel! It's funny that I had very mature black cherry trees in Ohio (well over 70 feet tall) but since I had never seen them young, I didn't know the bark was so different when young. I'm excited since I love to have butterfly host plants and berries for wildlife.
Thanks again!
Rhonda

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:32

Some kind of cherry for sure, but never seen a black cherry w/bark like that...

o

Beng, after Nel gave me the name I did some research. Says that for the first 10 or so years the bark looks like that then changes to the dark, rough texture. Thanks!

o

Is this tree evergreen or deciduous?

If evergreen perhaps Prunus caroliniana?

o

Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 13:24

rvird01, gotta disagree. I have a dozen B cherry saplings around, and their bark is gray -- not whitish. There are many, many different cherry species out there (mostly imports) -- all w/similar-looking leaves. Below is a B cherry on my lot w/ripe fruit in mid-Sept. Very tasty & surprisingly sweet when completely ripe:

This post was edited by beng on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 13:29

o

Beng,
Thanks for the picture and the info. I don't know as much about trees as I do flowers :). I'll let it grow a while and post pics next year. Maybe by then it will start producing fruit to make id easier.

Your cherries look wonderful. Do you ever preserve your cherries? I plan on leaving this tree for the birds and butterflies.

Thanks again! Rhonda

o

Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 9:32

Rhonda, no, there's never enough of them to bother with. The ones I show are from a tiny, forest-edge tree. My bigger (55') B cherry almost always aborts most or all of its fruit.

o

Thanks for your help Beng. Our black cherries in Ohio were also old and very seldom produced fruit. I never saw them as young trees so I had no clue this was a cherry tree. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here