Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nevik1977

Tree idea between driveways

nevik1977
9 years ago

Hi all.

I'm looking for advice on a tree, best suited for my neighbors property. YES, my neighbors property.

I have not approached my neighbors just yet, but before I do I want to think smart about suggesting an appropriate tree.

Quick reason. I think the location between our driveways and behind the stone wall would look very nice with a tree. And my house faces WEST so I get sun all day and early evening during the hot summer. So I would the the long term benefit of shade in this area. Property line is essentially the fence which runs the length of my driveway.

I have thought about the following:
Japanese Zelkova
Ginkgo

From driveway edge to driveway edge looks about 12' wide of grass area. So I might be dealing with 6' on center for install.
Obvious concerns are shallow destructive roots and nothing too dirty that would be unpleasant on the driveway.

I appreciate your thoughts.

My first big challenge will be convincing my neighbor to go halves or let me buy and professionally install a tree on their property! And ideas on that conversation? LOL

See pic.

Comments (30)

• treetoronto3
    9 years ago

Ginko grows very slowly, Zelkova is nice, not sure how their roots are...

What about a Skyline Honey Locust?

I have two of these planted between my neighbor's driveway and mine.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

You have a very narrow area between you and your neighbors yard. Your neighbors are hoping to stop partying folks from partying near their properties. I am thinking that your neighbors hope you are quite in your celebrations.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

If your yard is the one to the left in the pic above, you don't have a large area do you? It reminds me of the Amityville horror.

• nevik1977
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Treetoronto -
    The slow growth with the Ginkgo might not make for a good choice. I like the look of a Zelkova but roots will need to be considered due to driveway. How big is your Honey Locust? I'd like it to get relatively tall to help block the afternon sun on my house.

Skyline Honey Locust - 'A very important tree for difficult climates. Honeylocust leaf out later than most other shade trees, thus protecting them from devastating late spring freezes and heavy snow. This tree is also very water thrifty and heat tolerant. Another good reason to plant Honeylocust is because they drop their leaves earlier in the fall which keeps them from being damaged by early hard freezes and heavy snow. Upright, spreading, uniform branches form a broadly pyramidal shade tree. Finely textured, dark green, fern-like foliage turns golden-yellow in fall. An excellent choice for lawn areas because its deep roots stay well below the surface. Thornless.
    Hardy to -30ðF'

This description sounds perfect for Skyline Honey Locust.
    I also like that the shade seems to allow for some light to get through aiding to any plants I would have in front of my house.

Poaky1-
    We live in a very quite and friendly neighborhood.
    My neighbors have 4 kids, we have one. No one is 'partying'.
    Lot is 50' wide 150' deep. Correct, little to no yard in the front.
    I have not seen Amityville horror and don't plan to ;) If I see a face in the attic window I will let you know.

Thanks for the comments!
    Another pic of location.

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

You may consider a gorgeous Shantung Maple Fire Dragonî, Hovenia dulcis (Oriental Raisin Tree) or a Western Soapberry?

http://www.waterwereld.nu/hoveniaeng.php

http://www.forestry.ok.gov/Websites/forestry/Images/trees,soapberry.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Shantung Maples

• nevik1977
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will any of these trees dirty up my driveway? No a huge issue but not prefered.

What about a Red Oak? Or seedless Linden?
    Part of my goal is to paritally shade my house since I get the hot sun all day and late afternoon. And of course I still want the heat gain in the winter.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

You could very well be interested in the tree I'll link below.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Quercus x deamii 'Champion Seedless'

• drrich2
    9 years ago

Might be helpful to to know the maximum height of the tree, and maximum spread of the canopy, you would like to see.

Do you like a traditional 'lollipop' shape, like a rounded crown atop a trunk on some sugar maples, or do you like the rises and spreads 'vase shape' of an elm? While I wouldn't recommend American elm, from what I understand Chinese elm 'Alee' could fill the bill? Form is a big deal. I considered zelkova, but people described it to me and I looked at photos. I got the impression it looks like holding my wrist vertically and then spreading my fingers for branches, and just did not like the look.

If growth rate a big deal? A red maple or red oak would likely grow a good deal faster than a ginkgo.

I like ginkgo; planted 2 in our yard. But youngsters can look like malformed hat racks for a long time. Ginkgo is a tree for people who are willing to wait for gratification.

I planted a black gum 'wildfire' (I believe that's the cultivar) that I like; can be a big tree, but not enormous, reddish foliage in the spring is a nice perk over the straight species, and the glossy green leaves are nice. Growing faster than people had led me to believe black gum grows (and way faster than our 2 ginkgos so far). Somebody who wants something nice, big but not huge, 'not-just-another-red-maple-cultivar could do a lot worse. No acorns and not all those samaras a maple can produce.

I'd like to hear what others think of a tree growing large enough to provide significant shade to a 2-story house planted in a 12' wide strip. Is that fine?

Richard.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Nevik, I am VERY sorry, I was drunk posting. I was a HUGE A*s, when I posted that stuff above. The windows are a bit like the Amittyville house on the left side of the house, but I normally would'nt say that, it was all stupidity on my part. But in my hope to say something helpful, after the BS, if your neighbors are okay with a shade tree with some sze to it, oaks are great. Most maples croak when they finally get to a decent size, but sugar maples are usually the most long lived Maples. Dawn redwood is really nice with pretty bark. There are tons of trees to choose from.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

Put a colorful crape myrtle there. They grow fast and you can train it to grow upwards.

• subtropix
    9 years ago

DR's are MASSIVE. That is a small space.

• nevik1977
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you All.

Gardener365 -
    The Deam oak has a larger spread than I think I want to deal with. For the first 15 vertical feet I don't think a spread beyond 30' would be appropriate. In the event we would need to get a box truck in the driveway that could cause issue. Pruning would help that but a tree like the Zelkova might tend to avoid that better since it has the vase shape I kinda like for thei space.

Richard -
    I do like the rise and spread of the 'vase' shape for the reasons mentioned to Gardener365.

I think I am in agreement with you on the Ginkgo. And for that matter I am no longer interested. And If it turned out it ended up to be female I'd probably chop it down! So that is a no. The BlackGum 'Wildfire' is something I have not considered but is an interesting choice.

Why; unfortunately, I might pass on this one: Growth rate is slow to medium which is not quite ideal. One of my main goals is to introduce shade to the front left corner of my home The sooner this can be accomplished the better. I also read that heavy mulch is vital to its success, Im not sure I can rely on my neighbors for that. Beyond watering and light pruning, the desired tree needs to be pretty hardy and tolerante on its own.

Poaky1 -
    No hard feelings.
    The Dawn redwood is an interesting choice but the shape does not really suit my needs. I also don't believe it would add great curb appeal, too much of a green mass if you know what I mean.

Tibean2004 -
    I do love the CrepeMyrtle but not for this application.
    I'm looking for a bit more height and sooner than later. We have many of these in tree in our neighborhood and I just dont think it will do the job I'm after.

THANKS ALL

This is helping to build my case for a new tree in my neighbors yard!
    I might suggest 2 or 3 that will work and let them pick so they feel like they made a decision in the process.

Again, my house is on the left.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Njoasis, I wasn't aware that DR's get massive, mine must be still in it's teen years. Nevik there are some trees with very narrow crowns. Unfortunately, other than Arborvitae of the columnar shape, I can't think of the other names of the columnar trees. There are oaks, hornbeams (I think) Yews, and other varieties available. Hopefully others who know of more skinny trees chime in.

• drrich2
    9 years ago

The hornbeam mentioned might be fastigiate european hornbeam. Not exactly skinny in the pics.

Fastigiate or 'columnar' trees can be a matter of taste. Look at some photos before you decide on one.

Richard.

• treetoronto3
    9 years ago

So did you decide on a tree?

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

"Will any of these trees dirty up my driveway?"

Actually, given that berries from the Western Soapberry can be used as detergents and soaps...

"soapberries contain about 37% saponin & were used by native Americans and early settlers for cleaners and soaps."

They would actually help CLEAN your driveways!!! Just imagine that! Maybe these should even be promoted as the IDEAL driveway trees for that reason??

And moreso, you'd be helping to publicize and propagate a very useful, beneficial native tree...

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Soapberry Tree - Natural Laundry Detergent?

This post was edited by blakrab on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 12:28

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Any tree restrained enough to not lift the pavement later will take decades to get big enough to shade the house. In fact, one big enough to shade the house from the driveway planting strip will probably have to be bigger for that area than may be desired - you will have to take another approach to get relief from sun hitting your house before most of us reading this are dead and buried.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

If you are able to grow Photinia in your region, you could train one up as a standard. It'll give you a nice evergreen screen too. They can get big over a long time. But nothing like a 'tree'.

• basic
    9 years ago

I think you've got plenty of room for a medium-sized tree. I'd look for something with a spreading or vase shape. As for selling this to your neighbor, explain how it will enhance the aesthetics and value of both properties if the right tree is selected. Oh, and offer to do any seasonal cleanup from tree. :)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Fraser photinia has been spoiled by a leaf spot problem over much of the country. I first saw it being talked about in reference to the southeast and a few years later it appeared here in our opposite corner of the contiguous States, suggesting that it is now present throughout most of the suitable area.

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 15:28

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Most of the trees suggested will barely shade the driveway, let alone your house like you want.
    I totally agree with bboy.
    Mike

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

While it is nice to want to better the property, your neighbors may not see that is making it better. Believe it or not. Some people don't like the fallen leaves and branches, and bird droppings that automatically accompany trees. And if a tree is on their property, they can cut it down. I'm not so sure you have a right to plant it? Couldn't that be seen as trespassing? So talk to them first. I'd hate for you to spend all that $$$ and put in all that time, only to have it cut down.

:(

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

I also agree with bboy and Mike, though I think a tree would be nice even if you aren't able to benefit from its shade. Maybe get some awnings for your windows?

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

I also agree with bboy and Mike, though I think a tree would be nice even if you aren't able to benefit from its shade. Maybe get some awnings for your windows?

• olreader
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what the poster means by the house is facing west...if the driveway is to the west of the house, then the front of the driveway strip is to the northwest of the house.

In that case it seems that a relatively short tree at some distance from the house, to the northwest, is exactly what is needed to shade the house from the setting sun in the late afternoon of summer when it's hottest and the sun is shining directly in the windows. There is a lot of exposure to the afternoon sun with that street.

For true shading/cooling a bigger, closer tree overhanging the house is better.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Look at it this way, the house is hot every summer starting right now. A choice type of tree making compact or sturdy growth and averaging one foot per year in height increase is going to need 20 years to still be only 20 feet tall (starting with a small specimen).

• hamburglar1
    9 years ago

Those are cool houses. Looks like a street with some character.

Architecturally speaking, agree with the others calling for a tall, vase-shaped tree. Or at least a tree that can be limbed up to expose a tall trunk. That would be the best way to blend the driveway/hardscaping in with the tall houses.

A tall tree (>45') recommended for street planting in your area would be the way to go. Something top-heavy w/ strong branches that isn't too litter-messy (especially weak branched). The old elm would be perfect there - some experts are giving the green light to the new elm culitvars for DED resistance, so they might be worth a shot. Or parviflora elm. Agree with others that an upright Ginkgo is a nice fit, but it's definitely a waiting game with Ginkgos. Another option would be an oak that does not get too wide, such as shumard or nuttall. You don't want anything with low branching or that is columnar for that site. Small (

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Another point to ponder on shade. The summer sun sets farther north. Your house is to the north of your neighbor. More of the shade would fall on your neighbors driveway and home than on yours. Unless the tree was a real monster, you'd get little if any shade.

tj

• 19kev77
    8 years ago

aka - nevik1977. I got lost on the new Houzz site and created a new account. Status: No tree planted and conversatoin has not come up ...yet. Been busy spending $ on other home matters.

I was glad to find this older post and appreciate the added comments. How could I ever make a decision without such a site ;) Thanks - Kevin.