Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
River Birch are under stress

Posted by mamasalvo Z6 Centr Mass (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 21:05

My 4 year old River Birch leaves are turning yellow and falling off. 60% of the trees are affected either- yellow or dropping.
We went away for 4 days for July 4th and came home today to
see our beauiful 20 ft trees in trouble. It has been steadily in the 90s for several days so I know the heat has affected them. We are watering but hoping tree experts here will reassure us that our trees will come back in time. Any Suggestions beyond watering are much appreciated. Thanx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: River Birch are under stress

That's pretty normal for river birches planted in a home yard. They drop leaves when they don't have an ideal amount of water. So unless you went and did something silly like transplant it recently or apply miracle gro or dig around in the root zone, then it's probably nothing to worry about. Photos could confirm

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 21:15

Take it from someone with a bunch of 'river birches. Musicalperson is correct. Spring cometh - plentiful rain cometh, birches leaf out in EXCESS. Heat cometh - too much leaf surface has been produced and - birches defoliate. If the green leaves are on the tips of the branches and the yellowing leaves are nearest to the trunk or lower on other branches, not to worry. Jus' doin' their thing.
hortster

o

What cultivar is your specific River Birch? If it is the Dura Heat River Birch, it should more easily survive your extreme temperatures, this year. If your cultivar of River Birch is one of the more cold hardy cultivars, then the stress to your tree will subject it to pest invasions. Also, the dry conditions caused by the heat could cause such a tree to die.

If your tree is one of those more cold hardy cultivars, than the following efforts will be very important for you to put into practice.

1) Be on the altert, and quickly become prepared to treat the tree immediately whenever you begin to see any of your birch's known pests start to invade. And then retreat for as long as that pest's life cycle requires.

2) Consider how dry your upper few inches of your soil become during your current summer temps. Keep in mind that most birch tree cultivars' roots run only a few inches below the virgin soil surface, and extreme summer heat will dry that soil and will motivate Birch trees to send their roots out for far distances to find enough moisture that the tree needs.

To avoid potential damage to your cement or paved walkways, patios, or other landscape beds that normally would not have been affected by your birch tree's roots, it is best to now start watering your tree after dark at a time during your coolest temps of the day. Do this watering over a large area, stretching as far as at least double the distance out from your tree's normal canopy spread. Do this watering every other night until your excessive heat summer pattern has broken, and only stop that kind of frequent watering, after you have confirmed that your high times have moderated enough for your soil to begin showing signs that it has stopped losing moisture so fast.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 14:37

Unless you where in a period of drought (lets say min 3 weeks without rain) and this excessive heat wave pushed your tree to the edge, 60% of the canopy turning yellow is not normal.

Did you really mean 60%? That is quite severe for a 20' tree.

My 3 year old River Birch (also about 20' tall) exhibits what Hortster mentioned, but that is only 5%-10% of the canopy at most.

No rain for 10 days and on day 4 of 90 degrees and excessive humidity.

o

I also came back from the 4th to find over half the leaves on my 2 river birch brown or on the ground. Last good rain was 2 to 3 weeks ago. I did water both for about an hour 10 days ago. Have I lost them? If not what can be done to help them besides water, water, water? It happened so quick. They looked fine when I left.

o

hefer, keep watering your trees in the coolest part of the day, and also like I advised above, pay special attention to pests that attempt to take advantage of your stressed trees; just be ready to immediately treat them and repeat the treatment depending on the particular pest's life cycles.

o

Looks like everyone came back to a yard that looks like fall! Although mine started before I left, I was kinda shocked when I got home after just a few days.

Yeah, it's normal, in a subdivision, for a River Birch to shed it's leaves. It's been worse this year because of the excessive heat and drought. I watered the entire lawn, and then some, with a sprinkler for 4 hours before I left, doing another 4 hours today, just in case. It's probably not needed, but it can't hurt anything except for my water bill. The remaining leaves still look healthy enough.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 11:11

Folks, if your established River Birches are shedding more than 50% of the canopy you either have other issues or you instilled improper watering techniques during the establishment period.

Many River Birches leaves will yellow and fall due to chlorosis. Some think this is due to lack of water and contrary to belief River Birches are moderately drought tolerant...especially in their native range.

o

I picked up a 10" river birch from our local nursery and followed their instructions for planting and watering. It shows signs of new growth, but after watering it this weekend with a trickle it is showing yellowing on the leaves. I have checked for pest and see none. I also have a in ground sprinkler system that waters the zones for 20 min each once a day in the morning. Do you think it is getting too much water? The soil top layer is the red sand soil about 10" deep and below that was a layer of brown sand mix soil. Per the nursery recommendation I used the water crystals that expand and hold the water and a special soil mixed with my soil to allow for the roots to take. I have planted plenty of trees in the past but never a river birch, so my gut feeling is there is too much water. Should I turn the water off of that zone for several days till it dries out? The temp here right now is in thew high 80 to low 90. Thanks

o

I've lived in my house for 7 years and have 3 river or paper bark (not sure which) birches that drop yellow leaves in the summer year after year. Wet spring, dry spring, hot days, cool days, it doesn't matter. Is that just what these trees do? It frustrates me to no end. I hate the crunch of dried up leaves under my feet on July 1!

o

Heritage Birch Tree Stressed. Leaves are turning yellow and dropping. Lack of Water? Have irrigation system. Water 3 times a week 12 Minutes. Just cut down to 6 Minutes.

o

patseekelly....I just saw your photo and wanted to stress to you that while the landscaping looks nice now....a birch tree gets up to 40 feet tall and wide....that tree planted several feet from the birch is too close and in 5 years it is going to be awfully crowded in that corner

o

I have a 20 yr okd river birch, which has 3 branches, from a trunk that is about 8 in dia. i had it trimmed in feb this yr, and during early spring, could see a lot of sap rising all the way to the end of the trimmed sections, and drop off. in fact when there was frost on a few mornings, the sap wld ice over. but now, with spring in full season, no leaves have sprouted any where on the tree. I am wondering if I messed up trimming it too much, and causing it to stress. Any suggestions on what I should do, will be welcome

o

maka..

next time start a new post ... with a title that is searchable for the next person ...

what is done is done.. wait and see ...

as i tell peeps.. you cant staple the branches back on ..

do NOT seal or do anything..

sap flows in spring.. so be it.. its part of the healing process .....

only time will tell.. how it reacts this summer...

and it isnt worth worrying about it ...

think of it this way.. if deer had come thru and did the same as you .. there would be no guilt...

and it doesnt matter .. if there was some other better time .... whats done.. is done ....

ken

o

After researching several sites to find out why the leaves on my River Birch are falling like the snow, with no real answer. I just decided to groom it a little. This is a seven year old tree that is already huge. I had only pruned it once and some of the branches were drooping over so far they were touching the ground. Well, much to my surprise, after pruning the row of bottom branches, it gave the tree new life! It's only been three weeks but the tree is standing tall and proud, the shedding of the leaves has almost stopped completely and the remaining branches have become thick with new leaves. My yard looks clean and I don't have to hunch over to mow under the tree anymore.The tree actually looks heathier and happier.I then decided to trim my Willow Oak, same thing happened, it is visably less stressed and looks grand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here