Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wysecj

Source for 'City Slicker' River Birch

wysecj
12 years ago

Hi,

I'm trying to find a retail, mail order/online/local source for the City Slicker (Whit XXV) River Birch. I've searched everywhere online, but I've only been able to find wholesale nurseries that carry the variety, with the exception of Sooner Farm. However, Sooner Farm ships three gallon tubs - I'd rather get a bareroot plant since the shipping is almost as much as the plant.

I'm located in Suffield, Connecticut. I'd be willing to drive up to two hours to get one. Does anyone know of an online source for bareroot trees, or a relatively local nursery that carries it?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (15)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Did you check Klehm's? They show to have them in stock.

• wysecj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for checking for me.

Do you have a link for Klehm's? I found two places - "Klehm's Arboretum" in Rockford, IL, and Klehm's Song Sparrow Perennial Farm. Neither one had the City Slicker Birch.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

song sparrow version .. google it

ken

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

They don't carry it. I only found Sooner.

Any particular reason you want City Slicker? I felt like the 'Cully' bark was just as white as 'Whit XXV'.

There is another smaller selection that is quite white as well. I thought the cultivar name started with T, it ecsapes me right now.

• wysecj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted 'City Slicker' since I'm sure that I read that it was the whitest variety available, although after hunting the web I still can't find where I read it. Are there any comparisons anywhere between City Slicker (Whit XXV) and Heritage (Cully)? I had trouble finding one, but I was sure that's what led me to select City Slicker.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

"They don't carry it."

Well, I'm not so sure. It is actually shown on part of their website as currently in stock and available, but doesn't come up as a search result from their homepage (at least right now). I also noticed the page that it's on seems to have a problem (at least as of the time I'm writing this post). It looks like they do actually have it, but something is a little weird. I guess a call is in order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Betula nigra 'WHITXXV' at Klehm's

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

You could always call Carl and tell him how impressed you are with his plant and how surprised you are that it's not available. He might just send you one!

Dr. Carl Whitcomb, Lacebark Inc. (405)377-3539

• wysecj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sent an Email to both Dr. Whitcomb and Klehm's. Also contacted a wholesale nursery to find out which CT retail nurseries they've sold to. Hopefully, one of these leads will pan out. Thanks for the help.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Brandon, you are right. They stock it and have it available. Their site is jazzed up.

• wysecj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I heard back from both Dr. Whitcomb and Klehm's. As stated in previous posts, Klehm's has updated their web site, and I have placed my order.

Dr. Whitcomb responded promptly, and although he couldn't provide a source for me, he did give me some additional information. He gave me permission to post it here (and I have). It's a quick article describing the breeding and origination of the City Slicker Birch.

On an off topic note, he also sent me information on Crapemyrtles that he is breeding. Specifically, info on growing them in New England and the Chicago area. If anyone is interested in this, send me an Email and I will forward the information.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: City Slicker River Birch

• arktrees
    12 years ago

wysecj,
    You might like to use the patent number from this cultivar to look up the patent application. I use Google Patent search, then download a pdf. There is often more information in the patent that you won't find elsewhere. And since they are legal documents, I feel more comfortable getting more accurate information.

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing your correspondence wys. I never cared for the mature bark of river birch, but if it stays white, to me, that would be a strong selling point to add it to my collection.

• salicaceae
    12 years ago

I've had a 'City Slicker' here in Florida for 4 years. it is growing quickly and does have nice bark. It reminds me certain forms of B. papyrifera, but don't expect dazzling, pure white like you would expect with some species.

I got mine at a local nursery by the way, so no ideas here on where to get one.

• salicaceae
    12 years ago

Here is the bark on mine after 3 years:
    {{gwi:401361}}From Garden July 2011

• arktrees
    12 years ago

salicaceae,
    That looks pretty good to me. Certainly not as white as some of the other species, but I would trade that for longer life. Thanks for posting a picture.

Arktrees