Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenacre

Alex Shigo

tenacre
9 years ago

Been reading Alex Shigo's book "A New Tree Biology"

Learned I was pruning too close to flush.

So I tried it his way:

http://tenacre.hostei.com/images/bcprune.jpg

It will be interesting to inspect it next year and see if there's any visible difference in healing pattern.

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

You do understand that that CODIT occurs inside the tree at the cellular level, right?

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by rhizo_1 7a AL
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 21:35:
    "You do understand that that CODIT occurs inside the tree at the cellular level, right?"

That's what the book says. I have no reason to doubt it, since I won't be slicing my trees open lengthwise with a chain saw :-)

Nonetheless it will be interesting to see if there's any difference in the (externally visible) healing pattern. It would be a nice bonus if the external healing is faster.

If the book mentions anything about that, I haven't got to that part yet.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

"You do understand that that CODIT occurs inside the tree at the cellular level, right?"

I'm not sure I'm understand the intention of that question, but it almost seems to be saying that Shigo's work is not relevant to proper pruning cuts (like I said, I must be misunderstanding something). Parts of CODIT are internal but one major part is external and directly dependent (in multiple ways) on proper pruning cuts.

Tenacre, the cuts in your picture look pretty good, but the one we see from the side may a little too far out, at the lower side of the branch, from the branch collar, to be ideal. The cut should be made immediately beyond the branch bark ridge at the top (you appear to have that perfectly) and immediately beyond the branch collar at the bottom.

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>Posted by brandon7 7 TN
    >Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:39:
    >The cut should be made ...immediately beyond the branch collar at the bottom.

Where is the branch collar at the bottom?

http://tenacre.hostei.com/images/bcprune3.jpg

Red, white, or yellow arrow (see pic at link above)? Or somewhere else?

PS: sorry for the out-of focus pic; the camera was in "macro" setting and focused on the cut in front, not the side.

If you need a better pic I'll take another one tomorrow, and focus it on the smaller (side) cut.

This post was edited by tenacre on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 23:17

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

The yellow marker appears, from the picture, to be the location. Like I said before, you weren't that far off.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

You might find this helpful, its from one of Shigo's early books:
    {{gwi:401368}}

• tenacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

> Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
    > Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 16:28
    > You might find this helpful, its from one of Shigo's early books:

Thank you. I've seen that. It's on page 18 of "100 Tree Myths".

The problem is identifying the lower portion of the branch collar.

Here are some close-up pix:
    http://tenacre.hostei.com/BC/

Where would you say the lower branch collar is on that branch?

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Interesting question, I'd be curious too. I'd be tempted to cut at the line show. My main concern would be long term how the tree encapsulates that fused branch stub. But for that very reason I'd be tempted not to cut there because it it potentially fused.