Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Split Ash Trunk

Posted by Rayfleck Appalacia (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 21:30

Hi,
My first post. Strong winds caused my codominant ash trunk to split, forcing me to remove the cracked side. This left a large 15" x 48" exposed section of heartwood, which is healthy, no rot. I put a coat of TreeKote on the exposed part.
Is that enough to save the tree? Should I have not done the TreeKote? Any other advice?

Thanks,
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: You can see pix here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Split Ash Trunk

That sucks. Somehow it did not damage the house. I can relate to an ash splitting...someplace around here I got a pic of one across my driveway near the El Camino.

I am thinking your tree had a spot in the crotch water got into a year or so back and started some rot. It would have just continued down and rotted out more until it fell. Thankfully it happened this year and not when the tree was larger.

If you cleaned and dried out that mushy spot one sealer is as good a guess as any. For something which would be encapsulated in a short time what to do is nothing. The current authority in the tree world, Dr Shigo says use nothing, the inactive structural wood of the tree would handle itself.....somehow.....like my deck does I guess. (I'm just special and don't understand I suppose) That split is going to take a decade to be encapsulated minimum so I support your action.

More to the point and away from wound sealing theory and where I suspect I will agree with most.

That tree has some issues. One is the structural problem and almost certain rot that wound will invite in sealed or not. Two is Emerald Ash Borer. Unless you plan on treating the damaged tree with some terrible insecticide which no one guarantees will stop the bug it seems all true ash trees east of the Rockies are going to succumb to the bug.

My vote is to remove the tree before it gets larger and becomes more of a hazard. Sucks. I love ash. Just plant something else.

o

I wonder what role, if any, the rotted untreated beam resting in the crotch might have played. It looks like it might have been interfering with the proper upward growth of the bark ridge in the crotch.

This post was edited by tenacre on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 9:31

o

Thanks for the replies. That dark spot is actually under-exposed and is mostly bark, but I get your points. The remaining part of the tree seems healthy, so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here