Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What month does the Kousa Dogwood bloom?

Posted by jess2132000 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 21:35

I have a Bradford Pear tree on our side yard and that blooms in April here in PA. Was thinking of the Kousa Dogwood tree or Red Leaf Boodgood Maple which will be in the front yard. Do the Kousa bloom in April about the same time as the Pear or do they bloom after the pear and if we choose the Red Leaf Maple when do they get their leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What month does the Kousa Dogwood bloom?

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 21:55

Mine usually bloom late may to early june. I'm not sure how much that varies from state/zone to state/zone.

o

Here the native dogwoods bloom in May but my Kousa dogwood blooms in mid-late June - it still has some blooms now. Are you trying to add more spring bloom or spread out the bloom season? For a nice late summer blooming small tree, try a heptacodium. Mine blooms in late September.

o

Kousa blooms 2-3 weeks after native dogwood

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 6:22

Mine bloomed the middle of June last year. Variety 'Satomi'.

Cornus kousa, 'Satomi'

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 12:42

Cripes, someone with a 'Satomi' that actually blooms!

The popular C. kousa and forida hybirds bloom earlier than the kousa species.

o

My Kousa's blossoms are just starting to fade now. They have really been showing white for four weeks now and were green for about a week before that.

o

A 'Satomi' that blooms pink! Mine always blooms, but unless its a cool spring right up to bloom time, its usually white with pink edges, or maybe pink bleeding is more accurate. In the 11 years I've had mine I'd say only 3 years were solid pink years.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here