Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Locust and Red Maple grown indoors?

Posted by Nick.S none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 21:37

Hello! I plan on keeping them inside for a couple of months while they get a head start on growing and was wondering what exactly should I do to help them stay healthy? Probably some sort of growing light, but is there anything else I can do and has anyone done this before? And does anyone know how fast they grow?

Also, I'm looking for a tree that is small-mediumish size and that flowers also. Has to be a tree that bees love also, since I do plan on keeping them in the future. I was thinking of Black Locust and Red Maple since one provides nectar and the other pollen.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Locust and Red Maple grown indoors?

those trees need a cooling period to be healthy...you would need to mimic seasonal changes if you wanted to keep them indoors

o

Black locust needs a lot of extra light to be happy indoors. I grew a few from seed another year, germinating in January to give them an extra long first growing season. They got tall and weak stretching for more light. I had to cut them back when I finally put them in the ground outside, they couldn't stand even gentle wind anymore. I grew catalpa at the same time and they had no problem at all in same light.

o

ahhh..more pot facts ....

where are you ????

you said: I plan on keeping them inside for a couple of months while they get a head start on growing and was wondering what exactly should I do to help them stay healthy?

==>>> well thats easy.. PLANT THEM OUTSIDE ... or leave them outside in pots properly stored for winter ....

interfering with the plants NATURAL annual Circadian rhythm .. will NOT give them a head start ...

and i would suggest.. that if you dont kill them.. you will stunt them ....

besides the natural dormancy period.. short of a properly controlled green house ... it will be near impossible to manage watering [media selection] .. heat.. and light .. in winter.. especially in a house that has a forced air furnace... humidity being the big problem with such ... and you cant just throw them outdoors in winter in many places .. again.. where are you ...

now all that said... i am not trying to stop you from experimenting... that is ALWAYS good.... but you will need to address every variable i mentioned .. and probably a few others .... and come near to perfecting them ... to succeed ...

your thoughts of giving them a head start by keeping them close and cosy ... borders on what i call ... LOVING YOUR PLANTS TO DEATH .... the bottom line.. is that deciduous trees NEED to go dormant .... and you cant change that .... no matter how much you 'care' .....ma nature has been at this for billions of years.... and you arent going to out think her ...

but again... do have fun trying...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

It seems an odd time of year for this. If you had a VERY young sapling, I could see starting it indoors in late winter/early Spring and planting it after last frost. At this time of year I'd say plant them outside and water them regularly through August.

Grow lights shouldn't be need through August.

o

Thanks for the responses guys!

And the reason why I asked some questions about putting them in pots and such is because I'll be heading off to college, and I want to plant a tree that is a great source of nectar so in the future when I keep bees they'll love it. I won't be living with my parents forever, hopefully lol, and I just wanted to see if I could keep them in a pot for a number of years until I get my own place and such. But it doesn't seem like it'll work unless it's a dwarf tree. But thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here