Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sycamores smell like Sweet tea to me, how about you?

Posted by livingfossil 6a Dayton OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 21:39

I love the smell of American Sycamores and Plane Trees. To me, they smell like Sweet Tea or those ice pops in those cellophane tubes. What do they smell like to you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sycamores smell like Sweet tea to me, how about you?

I love the fragrance of different trees, especially of the fallen leaves when a rain is coming. I have noticed how sweet hickory foliage is in spring, but never really focused on sycamore. I will pay special attention next time I get a chance.

--Spruce

o

I remember walking outside and I would smell this wonderful sweet scent and I happened to notice I was walking under a row of Sycamore trees. When I was in another location, I smelled that same scent around Sycamore trees. If you ever see any fresh fallen leaves, if you bruise them, that sweet scent comes out. Although I have heard some people say they don't care for the smell, but to me it is sweet.

o

Never noticed sycamores specifically, but I can REALLY dig the fragrance of some rotting gingko seeds in the early fall.

Anyone want to guess what THAT smell compares to ?!?

(;

o

Rancid butter and vomit for Ginkgo seed coats.

o

lol... I love the smell of Cercidiphyllum japonicium's leaves in the fall, like cotton candy.

o

I grew up under sycamores and love the smell of those leaves. Funny, but that scent doesn't actually remind me of any other, but seems both unique and unmistakeable. I always know when there's one around!

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 17:30

Gymnocladus dioicus also has fresh aroma in flower. Among the more common shade trees a similar floral fragrance is provided by lindens. The frequency of black cottonwood trees on damp sites here means that some areas are blessed with a pervasive balsamic aroma during part of the year.

o

To me the fleshy coating of ginkgo seeds smell like feta cheese to me.

o

Here in Michigan, Sycamore trees stink to high heaven. Even my wife and kids have taken to calling them 'stink trees'. They smell like a dirty butt and its very strong when its hot and humid. People talk about 'summer stench'. I have lived all over Michigan and can always tell when I am near one of these stinky trees. I have even smelled the leaves up close to be sure it was the tree and not a sewer leak. Maybe in other regions or different varieties smell better, but they reek in Michigan for sure. I think if more people realized its the tree they are smelling, no one would plant them. On the plus side they are very sturdy and usually grow to a nice shape

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 14:21

Mine have a very pleasant earthy smell. It's not something that I'd go out of my way to inhale, but it certainly isn't a bad smell at all.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 20:36

I've never noticed this.

o

I have to agree with everywhereman. I always think "sewage" when I smell them. They do have very nice, dense shade, though.

o

LOL, that is interesting everywhereman. I guess everyone's nose reacts differently to the smell of sycamores. To me they have this earthy sweetness I can't get enough of. Most people I know only realize the odor when I point it out.

I don't get sewage scent from them. I just think of sweet tea.

o

• Posted by beng z6b western MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 13:10

livingfossil, that description seems close. I tried it -- mashed up the leaves. Faint, but there's a sweetness apparent.

Offhand, I'd have thought Sycamore would have an unpleasant odor.

The big sycamore on my lot somehow escaped anthracnose this yr -- when the cool, rainy period occurred in early May the new growth hadn't emerged enough to get infected.

o

they smell like a mixture of rotting beef and armpit. their leaves seem to be brown more often than not. horrible tree! at least around here.

o

^^^ blasphemy!! I think they smell wonderful. An earthy herb scent with just a touch of sweetness. Only have to wait another couple months and I can enjoy it again, firsthand

o

I had a Sycamore in my yard for a few years, before disease struck. I now have a London plane tree. I have a large Sycamore near my back property line. I planted it, but the property is not mine now. I will try to sniff in my back yard for a while. Just to see if I smell a sweet tea smell. I planted the tree GUESSING 1998 or later. It is about 12 feet over MY property line, and into my neighbors. He is a nice guy, so we don't fuss over property lines.

o

• Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 0:29

I love the smell of Southern Magnolia leaves, and also enjoy the smell of hickory leaves.

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 3:44

I guess people's noses are different. I have always liked the smell of sycamores. It's one of the first plants that i particularly noticed the smell of. There were some growing around the church i attended when i was small. I loved that smell. They smell like some sort of sweet spice to me.

I have three in my garden :2 london plane and one cal sycamore. Sometimes i love to just sit out there and enjoy the fragrance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here