Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weeping willow dieing

Posted by weepingwillowhelp none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 21:41

About 1/2 of my weeping willow tree is bare and looks dead this year. I don't see any army worms or other bugs on it. Not sure why its dieing. I have three other trees that are near by and look healthy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weeping willow dieing

Impossible to tell with info provided. +Pix.

Dan

o

size.. location.. zone.. history of winter weather.. recent planting.. lawn care spraying...

give us anything other than a dead branch if you want us to guess ..

and if you want an answer.. a few pix might get the best result ..

ken

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 12:02

Consider this a good thing...its part of their normal behavoir.

o

• Posted by tophers Z8 - Portland OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 12:55

weepingwillowhelp,

It is true, pics would be very helpful. It might also help to know where you are.

I have a 7-yr-old Weeping Willow (about 25'x 25') that has had a number of problems...so much so, that I'm considering taking it out. My wife and I love the tree, so it is hard to swallow, the prospect of taking it out.

Our willow has been battling Marssonina Leaf Spot, Willow Scab (from what I understand, these two together = Twig Blight). It seemed to be getting through it ok (with a fungicide spray), but in the past two weeks, it's developed a new problem...all the new growth is coming out deformed...not black/brown...just shriveled and deformed...and normal color. I've done a lot of searching on the internet and can't seem to find what the problem is. It also has taken to sprouting new branches from the trunk near the base of the tree.

I'm in the Pacific NW and we've had a cool/wet Spring/Summer. I understand that in the climate I'm in, that these problems, which are fungus-related, can get severe and lead to defoliation and possibly death of the tree. Not knowing where you are and not knowing what the dead and dying parts of the tree look like make it difficult to know what might be the problem.

Please post back with more info and some pics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here