Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID?? is it elm?

Posted by ospreynn z7 NM (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 21:46

I saw this tree growing in Santa Fe, NM... seems to be doing fine around the city... is it elm?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID?? is it elm?

Sure is. If the leaves feel rough like sandpaper, it is probably slippery elm. It looks like an American elm to me, though.

o

Thanks... it is the first time I see a native (US) elm in New Mexico... Ulmus pumila is all you see around here.. I didn't touch the leaves, so I cannot comment on that... which of the two species (slippery or American) is most likely to survive in NM?

osprey

o

You mean you don't go around groping strange trees? haha jk

If it was planted, it is most likely an american elm cultivar.

John

o

hahaha I should do that more often... thanks for the ID John.

o

Elms are easy. Notice where the leaf attaches to the petiole? Elms typically have the leaf margin at that spot uneven, one side not being identical to the other, off-center.

o

calliope, since they don't occur naturally around here, I had no clue how to id them...thanks for the hint... I never paid attention to their leaves before... that should make things easier.
The problem would be to find the right species.

o

ospreynn
The problem would be to find the right species.

Given that the city seems to have put it there, I'm going with Ulmus USDA

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 10:21

Offhand, that looks closest to American elm. Leaves too big for Sib elm, not fuzzy enough for slippery elm.

o

Planted by the city...... It's not Siberian elm for sure... I can distinguish the other two species... but it seems like the general consensus is American elm... thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here