Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonaa_gw

Willow or not? Tree Id Please.

sonaa
16 years ago

Hi I have some trees behind my home that were planted way before I got here. I am guessing they might be willows, because they tend to lose twigs and leaves easily. Also the shape of the leaves and how the branches grow from the trunk. Could you take a look at these pics please? I wanted to know because I have guinea pigs that tend to graze. Willow is pretty safe for them.

Comments (17)

• salicaceae
    16 years ago

Definitely not a willow -there are no willows with palmate, compound leaves.

• sonaa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What do you think it could be then?

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

looks more like a vine and i don't see a trunk but more like numerous branches coming out of the ground. not a tree??

• sonaa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh! No it's not a vine. That's a young one. It seems to have multiplied itself many times. There's lots of tiny budding trees all over. The larger ones are behind the fence.. Anything useful I could take pictures of to help Iding it?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

if you have seedlings... you ought to be able to find momma in the area ..... a picture of her might help ..

ken

• sonaa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took some more pictures. Here's the mama trees and some seed pods as well as bark pictures.

{{gwi:402195}}

{{gwi:402197}}

{{gwi:402199}}

• schmoo
    16 years ago

Is the foilage aromatic?? Are all of the leaves with 3 leaflets??

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

What zone have you seen the plant in and live in?

• dirtslinger2
    16 years ago

Some similarity to Choisia 'aztec', but haven't seen it in tree form.

• schmoo
    16 years ago

"Some similarity to Choisia 'aztec'"

Yes, Choiysia or related genus I was leaning towards

• sonaa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Yes all are with 3 leaflets it seems. If you look at the younger tree close up you can see it. There doesn't seem to be any singles or 2-together... I have not smelled anything noticeable. The trees lose tons of leaves even in our monsoon and warm weather. Doesn't seem to hurt the trees ( they aren't dying, they just lose leaves a lot and grow them back fast ).

The trees are in my backyard as well as the backyard of the place across from me. The owners of the place across from me don't know either. I live in Arizona. Zone 9 from zip code.

I'll have to look at the Choiysia. We have all kinds of weird hybrids. I don't think it's native to arizona, but it is able to handle the climate amazingly well.

Thanks everyone!!!

• brickman
    16 years ago

Okay call me crazy. I know little about trees but I was intrigued & had a few spare minutes but is this it ? " Rhus lancea"
    Martin

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"I was intrigued & had a few spare minutes but is this it? "Rhus lancea""

Methinks you've got it with Rhus lancea. Fits on foliage, fruit and branching structure. It doesn't look like any Choisya I've seen.

Resin

• sonaa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow martin! Sounds and looks very much like these trees. Even the berries it grows.. looks similar to the dead ones on the tree right now. I might go and see if the leaves smell too!! Should be 'treeman' instead of brickman!

• brickman
    16 years ago

No no I just put together the clues from Resin and others and made a search for "willow like trifoliate leaves" certainly is a bag of fun though. (personaly I think Resin knew all along & was just testing us!)
    Martin

• schmoo
    16 years ago

BINGO!! New one for me........

• sonaa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am soo happy:) Thank you all! It was driving me batty to know what it was.